"Jemez Pueblo, New Mexico" Jemez Pueblo by MarkJochim
Jemez Pueblo Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 4 photos
Jemez Pueblo is set along the Jemez River in an open red-rock valley, west of NM Highway 4. The 88,000-acre reservation includes two fishing lakes (Holy Ghost Springs and Dragonfly Lake - permit only Apr.-Oct. on weekends and holidays).
With a population of 3400, it is the last remaining Towa-speaking community in the state. The local Black Eagle and Star Feather Powwow Singers were nominated for a Grammy Award in 2002.
The only part of the pueblo open to the public is the Walatowa Visitor Center (opened in 2000). It contains a small museum, crafts shop, a nature walk, and rotating art and photography exhibits.
Across the street from the Visitor Center, arts and crafts and traditional foods are sold at the Jemez Red Rocks Open-Air Market (10-6 weekends, Apr.-Oct.). There are also a number of road-side fry bread stands on the way to the town of Jemez Springs, 12 miles north on NM 4 (see separate VT page).
Jemez Pueblo is sometimes open to the public for special events, demonstrations and ceremonial dances. Call ahead for details at (505) 834-7234. Also, remember that photography (still and video) and sketching are prohibited.
MarkJochim's Related Pages
Jemez Pueblo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Jemez Pueblo, New Mexico"
- "Remote Indian Pueblo."
- "Basaic Jemez Pueblo Page"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Jemez Pueblo
- 2 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Jemez Pueblo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Jemez Pueblo
Top 10 Pages
- Albuquerque Intro, 45 reviews, 53 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Southampton Intro, 39 reviews, 56 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 27 reviews, 29 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 21 reviews, 22 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Greenwich Intro, 20 reviews, 21 photos
- Beijing Intro, 11 reviews, 12 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Acoma Pueblo Intro, 8 reviews, 9 photos
- Canyon de Chelly National Monument Intro, 6 reviews, 9 photos
- Chaco Canyon National Monument Intro, 5 reviews, 8 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Taos Pueblo Intro, 7 reviews, 6 photos