"Chaco Canyon National Historic Park" Chaco Canyon National Monument by MarkJochim
Chaco Canyon National Monument Travel Guide: 33 reviews and 93 photos
Chaco Canyon is home to the largest excavated Native American ruins in North America. The more than 2,000 sites were constructed between 900 and 1200 years ago. The Anasazi ("ancient ones") - ancestors of today's Pueblo Indians - built a 400-mile system of roads radiating out in straight lines from Chaco Canyon, as well as irrigation ditches to water their cultivated fields.
At the National Historic Park in Chaco Canyon, the visitor center includes a small museum on Chaco culture and a bookstore. It is also possible to buy bottled water but no food.
A paved loop road leads to the trailheads of the various ruins - the most impressive of which is the massive Pueblo Bonito (once five stories tall and containing 800 rooms). There's also a primitive, park service-operated campground.
Chaco Canyon is possibly the most remote large property in the entire National Park System. The roads into the park are washboard dirt and impassable during bad weather. There are no gas stations, food concessions or hotels along the route. However, this remoteness adds to the experience - keeping Chaco Canyon delightfully free of tourist crowds.
- Pros:Remote, uncrowded, spiritual, historic
- Cons:Remote, very bumpy road going into the canyon
- In a nutshell:Well worth the trip, but make certain your car is up to the trip!
The primitive campgound at Chaco Canyon National Historic Park is operated by the National Park Service. There are 47... more travel advice
The builders of Pueblo Bonito knew when they started that they were going to build four or five stories but the walls... more travel advice
MarkJochim's Related Pages
Chaco Canyon National Monument Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Yupkoyvi: "The Place beyond the Horizon""
- "Chaco Canyon National Historic Park"
- "Chaco Canyon March 2005"
- "12th Century Capitol of the USA"
- "Chaco Canyon National Monument"
- "CHACO CANYON"
- "Stonework that Dates WAY Back"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chaco Canyon National Monument
- Hotels in Chaco Canyon National Monument
- Transportation in Chaco Canyon National Monument
- Warnings and Dangers in Chaco Canyon National Monument
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Chaco Canyon National Monument
- 5 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Chaco Canyon National Monument?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chaco Canyon National Monument
- Posted in Travel Denver Forum "DENVER INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT --..."
- Wrote a Review Campground at Chaco Canyon in Chaco Canyon National Monument Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Chaco Canyon National Historic Park"
- updated a Chaco Canyon National Monument Travel Page "Chaco Canyon National Historic Park"
Photos in Chaco Canyon National MonumentSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Albuquerque Intro, 45 reviews, 53 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Southampton Intro, 39 reviews, 56 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 27 reviews, 29 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 21 reviews, 22 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Greenwich Intro, 20 reviews, 21 photos
- Beijing Intro, 11 reviews, 12 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Acoma Pueblo Intro, 8 reviews, 9 photos
- Canyon de Chelly National Monument Intro, 6 reviews, 9 photos
- Chaco Canyon National Monument Intro, 5 reviews, 8 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Taos Pueblo Intro, 7 reviews, 6 photos