"Bernalillo, New Mexico" Bernalillo by MarkJochim
Bernalillo Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 13 photos
Bernalillo, just 17 miles north of Albuquerque on Interstate 25, was once a tranquil Hispanic village. Today, it is one of New Mexico's fastest-growing towns and is increasingly absorbing the suburban grown northward from Albuquerque and Rio Rancho.
The town's two biggest attractions are the Santa Ana Star Casino - host to some good concerts and a highly-regarded restaurant - and the Coronado State Monument, thought to be the site of a winter encampment by the explorer.
A large wine festival is held here each year on Labor Day weekend (early September). The most memorable event is the Fiesta of San Lorenzo, which has honored the town's patron saint each August 10 for nearly 400 years. The entire town takes to the streets to participate in the traditional masked matachine dance. Matachines, of Moorish origin, were brought to this hemisphere by the Spanish colonists. In New Mexico, various versions are danced to haunting fiddle music in both Native American pueblos and old Spanish villages at different holidays.
Bernalillo is also the gateway for a wonderful day-trip through the Jemez Mountains: from I-25, take US 550 west to NM 4; follow this road through scenic canyons past the Jemez Pueblo, stopping at Jemez Springs with its bath house and ruins and enjoying the crisp mountain air; eventually, NM 4 loops east and you can visit Los Alamos and Bandelier defore descending into Santa Fe. I plan to eventually have Virtual Tourist pages on each of these locales (in addition to a separate one on Coronado State Monument).
This small park on the west bank of the Rio Grande contains the ruins of Kuaua Pueblo, believed to have been the winter... more travel advice
MarkJochim's Related Pages
Bernalillo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Small town NM .... sort of :)"
- "Bernalillo, New Mexico"
- "Basaic Bernalillo Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bernalillo
- Hotels in Bernalillo
- Transportation in Bernalillo
- Restaurants in Bernalillo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bernalillo
- 2 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Bernalillo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bernalillo
Top 10 Pages
- Albuquerque Intro, 45 reviews, 53 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Southampton Intro, 39 reviews, 56 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 27 reviews, 29 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 21 reviews, 22 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Greenwich Intro, 20 reviews, 21 photos
- Beijing Intro, 11 reviews, 12 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Acoma Pueblo Intro, 8 reviews, 9 photos
- Canyon de Chelly National Monument Intro, 6 reviews, 9 photos
- Chaco Canyon National Monument Intro, 5 reviews, 8 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Taos Pueblo Intro, 7 reviews, 6 photos
Latest Bernalillo hotel reviews
- Hyatt Regency Tamaya Resort And Spa
- 488 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 18, 2013