"Pueblo Of Acoma: Sky City" Top 5 Page for this destination Acoma Pueblo by MarkJochim
Acoma Pueblo Travel Guide: 67 reviews and 122 photos
"Sky City" rests atop a massive sandstone mesa which rises 367 feet above the valley and 7,000 feet above sea level about 60 miles west of Albuquerque. Archaeologists have dated the occupation of Acomo to A.D. 1150.
The army of Francisco Vasques de Coronado visited Acoma in 1540 and became the first white men to enter the city. A three-day battle occurred in December 1598 between the Acomas and Vicenti de Zaldivar's Spanish troops. The building of the mission church between 1629 and 1640 restituted peace.
In order to visit Sky City, you must register at the Acoma Pueblo visitor center for a guided tour. There are several shops in which you can buy Acoma pottery (some of the most beautiful in New Mexico), jewelry and native foods. Video cameras are not allowed, but you can take still photography (except on the special feast days).
- Pros:Great views
- Cons:Can be hot and dusty
- In a nutshell:A nice daytrip from Albuquerque
Acoma hosts a number of festivities during the year, several of which are opened to the public. The largest is the... more travel advice
Kadzima, or Enchanted Mesa, rises 400 feet above the surrounded plain to the east of Acoma. According to legend, it was... more travel advice
MarkJochim's Related Pages
Acoma Pueblo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Vibrant History and Culture at Sky City"
- "A place prepared"
- "Acoma, Oldest Continously Inhabited City in U.S."
- "Haak’u: A Place Prepared"
- "Pueblo Of Acoma: Sky City"
- "ACOMA PUEBLO"
- "Trim and proper"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Acoma Pueblo
- Transportation in Acoma Pueblo
- Restaurants in Acoma Pueblo
- Shopping in Acoma Pueblo
- Warnings and Dangers in Acoma Pueblo
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Acoma Pueblo
- 8 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Acoma Pueblo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Acoma Pueblo
Photos in Acoma PuebloSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Albuquerque Intro, 45 reviews, 53 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Southampton Intro, 39 reviews, 56 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 27 reviews, 29 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 21 reviews, 22 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Greenwich Intro, 20 reviews, 21 photos
- Beijing Intro, 11 reviews, 12 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Acoma Pueblo Intro, 8 reviews, 9 photos
- Canyon de Chelly National Monument Intro, 6 reviews, 9 photos
- Chaco Canyon National Monument Intro, 5 reviews, 8 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Taos Pueblo Intro, 7 reviews, 6 photos
Latest Acoma Pueblo hotel reviews
- Sky City Casino Hotel
- 136 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013