"I adore caves" Cheddar by Ginaravens

Cheddar Travel Guide: 29 reviews and 102 photos

Gorge & Caves

The Cheddar Gorge is a natural feature in the land where the ground split & made a mini grand Canyon - after a fashion. Its a winding pass of cliff faces full of fossils & an area of natural beauty.

At the town of Cheddar we find the caves, established for many years and unfortunately vandalised in part. The caves are extensive & very beautiful. Caves maintain their temperatures regardless of the outside conditions and so they make a comfortable refuge. You will be enchanted by the natural grotto, a beautiful & colourful natural pool of stalactites & stalagmites, and saddened by the ring o'bells - an arrangement of natural stalctites like a xylophone that produced different notes when lightly struck, or at least, this is the legend. They were all broken by vandals back in the Victorian era. A tragically irreplaceable feature lost to us.

Cheddar is also known for its cafes where Cream teas are served & Wonderful local clotted cream can be bought or sent to the destination of your choice. This is no visit of glamour & gloss, but a peaceful & instructive visit to a bygone age that will refresh any weary sightseer. It has been far too long since last I was there, it is a place I would love to eventually retire to.

• Pros:A beautiful & serene place
  • Cons:A rugged walk up & downhill!
  • In a nutshell:If only I lived there!
  • Intro Written Feb 12, 2003

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Mar 13, 2005 at 4:38 AM

The gorge is just gorgeous, even if I didn't see the caves.

• dr.firas's Profile Photo
    Jul 1, 2003 at 9:50 AM

I love Caves too Gina!

• craic's Profile Photo
    Apr 25, 2003 at 12:36 AM

Gouda page. (I think I edam a cheese witty.)

• demonia's Profile Photo
    Apr 13, 2003 at 1:31 AM

Cheddar spelunking. Shouldn't that be Emmental? ;)

• nighthawk's Profile Photo
    Mar 30, 2003 at 2:56 AM

ach and i thought cheddar meant cheese...one learns something everyday...kewl page so far and would like some pics :-)

• hayward68's Profile Photo
    Mar 29, 2003 at 6:06 PM

I visited last year, the caves were cool and the Gorge is just stunning.

• o00o's Profile Photo
    Mar 5, 2003 at 1:56 PM

Never miss to explore around the deeper narrower cave in Cheddar.

• Martin_S.'s Profile Photo
    Mar 4, 2003 at 11:05 PM

Hi Gina, it looks like there is one more place we will have to visit togeather when we come to England, Chedder sounds delicious ;O)
    Maybe a few pics to go with the words though, please!

• Anchovy56's Profile Photo
    Feb 27, 2003 at 12:03 PM

Extra sharp stuff about Cheddar!

• KennetRose's Profile Photo
    Feb 18, 2003 at 5:44 AM

I love the gorge Gina, a great place to spend a summer afternoon!

Ginaravens

“Picture caption: In God's monkey we trust”

Badges & Stats in Cheddar

Have you been to Cheddar?

Latest Activity in Cheddar