"Down the rabbit hole..." selfishman's Profile

A little about me...

It is my pleasure to share some of my adventures and experiences with anyone who will listen. Unfortunately, you can only read so much into photo or description of a place. I'll do my best to bring them to life as much as possible but for the past two years I've been much to busy travelling to dedicate the neccessary time to it. My suggestion is that you shoot me an e-mail to find out where I am and jump on the next flight!
Or at least shoot me an e-mail to make a new friend and see when and where our paths may converge. Thank you for the opportunity to share my experiences and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Me, Me, Me....

I grew up mostly in Hawaii and Southern California. My formative years of schooling, fishing and chasing girls were on the Big Island, Hawaii. When I finished school I headed to California to start the adventure of growing up... Growing up being much easier said then done I decided to explore as a child as long as I can.

As a perpetual child, I always loved fishing, still do but I don't get around to it much any more. It was alway a time to hang out with friends and a beer(s), play music, talk about girls and every now and then we would catch something... when that happens I take a picture real fast before it gets away or I wake up.

What are we searching for?

Freedom? Adventure? Love? Or maybe we're running from something. Do you ever stop to ask yourself what your looking for? What you hope to gain? What you might be running from?

I feel that it's almost always a combination of searching for and running from something... the carrot and the stick. It would be nice if we were motivated simply by the good things but without a little bit of pain to drive us there we end up ignoring the whole point of the journey...growth.

Most people will tell you they are searching for love, adventure, freedom etc... If you ask what they're running from they will often go to great lengths to prove that they're not running from anything. To me that seems like such a pity...to search so long and hard without being open and honest about the opportunities for growth that lie in the darkness.

It is when we embrace the darkness that we are trully free to embrace the light!

A word about friends and relationships

I want to be a better friend. The truth is, it is almost impossible for me to express to my friends just how important they are to me. I have wonderful pictures and memories of places I've been. But when I tell stories, or get really excited about a place I've been it's almost always a matter of who I was with. Whether it be a random street vendor or performer in Rio, a group I happen to meet up with in germany, or my buddies in the army, my best memories are the people I meet along the way.
And by the way...everything and everyone is along the way. No matter how brief.
Let me take a moment to say to my friends. Even though I don't see some of you at all or very little, the memories we share will always be the most valuable thing in my life.

Music, Art and Dance

Life is an expression of soul and within life you have music, art and dance to feed it (and of course much more depending on your talents and interests).

It's when your soul comes up from behind the mask that we all wear, the mask that we wear to protect our soul from the suffering of life, the mask that holds back the full expression of who we are.

What a great world we live in when people are free to share there soul in so many different ways.

About adventure and growth

Life really is what you make it.
At times I feel like life is just too much but then I realize that it's exactly the right amount. There is nothing in this world that can defeat me unless I allow it to. There's is no situation that you cannot overcome.
My logic is that you create the events in your life, sometimes consciously but usually unconsciously, and you are unable as a human being to self destruct. You will always be in a position to achieve maximum growth unless you choose failure or defeat.

Is growth possible without a sense of adventure? Can you learn if you don't make mistakes? How do you know what feels good if you've never experienced pain?

I feel like a pin ball sometimes, seeking growth wherever I can. It seems like a lot of the really profound growth I've experienced in life came as a result of massive pain. I wonder how neccessary all of it is. Would I be as excited about all the amazing things life has to offer if it weren't for the hard times?

Who knows, I guess I couldn't have it any other way...back down the rabbit hole for me...

• Intro Updated Nov 29, 2005

• Mairo21's Profile Photo
    Sep 1, 2006 at 1:49 PM

May today and everyday here on be filled with much happiness and peace. May all your wishes and dreams become reality. WIshing you a happy birthday dear friend. Take care!

• jonah1's Profile Photo
    Sep 1, 2006 at 12:18 AM

Happy bday from SA!! :)

• valec's Profile Photo
    Dec 5, 2005 at 12:10 PM

Hi Caleb! what's up? how are you doing? Still in Amsterdam?

• Roalera26's Profile Photo
    Sep 1, 2005 at 2:14 PM

Hola..FELIZ CUMPLEAÑOS....ESPERO LO PASES MUY BIEN...MUCHOS BESOS DESDE CHILE

• thelittlevoice's Profile Photo
    Sep 1, 2005 at 5:48 AM

Happy bday Caleb! Have a good one.

• JessH's Profile Photo
    Aug 31, 2005 at 10:27 PM

Hi! Love your homepage. Many happy birthday greetings from Dubai :-p And remember: "if it makes you happy, it can't be that bad..." So have fun!

• karenincalifornia's Profile Photo
    Aug 31, 2005 at 9:33 PM

Happy Birthday! You've got a great home page. So candid, so honest. Here's to a wonderful day!

• JRiel's Profile Photo
    Aug 15, 2005 at 6:59 PM

so i love what you said about your friends on this page.... sometimes i get like that too. lately i've been realizing the importance of saying what i feel while i have the chance to. damn i'm getting old. anyway, props to your thoughts. aloha

• Arjaree's Profile Photo
    Oct 5, 2004 at 1:58 AM

I like your writing on the Cambodia album. It's good to find a way to self-realization.

• ben&jerry's Profile Photo
    Sep 1, 2004 at 10:20 AM

Happy birthday from France!

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
selfishman's Profile Photo

selfishman

“Take the red pill...see how far the rabbit hole really goes”

Real Name
Caleb Milliken
Location
Hawaii (Big Island), Hawaii (State of)
Member Since