"La Ciudad Sagrada" Machu Picchu by andal13

Machu Picchu Travel Guide: 654 reviews and 1,827 photos

Sacred City

"Harto de ser tratado como perro, Manco Inca se alza contra los hombres de cara peluda. En el trono vacío, Pizarro instala a Paullo, hermano de Manco Inca y de Atahualpa y de Huáscar.
De a caballo, a la cabeza de un gran ejército, Manco Inca pone sitio a Cusco. Arden las hogueras en torno a la ciudad y llueven, incesantes, las flechas de yesca encendida, pero más castiga el hambre a los sitiadores que a los sitiados y las tropas de Manco Inca se retiran, al cabo de medio año, entre alaridos que parten la tierra.
El Inca atraviesa el valle del río Urubamba y emerge entre los altos picos de niebla. La escalinata de piedra lo conduce a la morada secreta de las cumbres. Protegida por parapetos y torreones, la fortaleza de Machu Picchu reina más allá del mundo."
Eduardo Galeano - "Memoria del fuego I - Los nacimientos"

"Tired of being treated like a dog, Manco Inca rebels against the hairy-face men. At the empty throne, Pizarro inducts Paullo, Manco Inca's brother, and Atahualpa's and Huáscar's.
On a horse, as spearhead of a big army, Manco Inca besieges Cusco.
The fires burn around the city and rain, unceasing, burning arrows, but hunger punishes more the besiegers than the beleaguereds and Manco Inca's troops withdraw, after half a year, among yells that break the earth.
Inca goes through river Urubamba's valley and emerges among the high misty peaks. The stone stairway leads him to the secret abode of the hilltop. Sheltered by parapets and turrets, the fortress of Machu Picchu reigns beyond the world."
Eduardo Galeano, "Memory of fire I - The births"

• Last visit to Machu Picchu: Apr 2000
  • Intro Updated Jul 8, 2003

• SirRichard's Profile Photo
    Apr 12, 2005 at 2:19 PM

A stone for recharging batteries? I'll try with my camera and discman LOL Yep, this must be a magical place, I'm really looking forward to go!

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Dec 3, 2004 at 10:13 PM

Wonderful page and superb pictures. Thank you for sharing Andrea !

• loovedoctor's Profile Photo
    Oct 30, 2004 at 5:35 PM

If I could only pick one, I'd pick you to go with me on a journey to really see everything. Great site!!

• percy961's Profile Photo
    Oct 3, 2004 at 2:22 AM

I njoyed your site, some Great pics. What wonderful Scenery.

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Sep 30, 2004 at 7:53 AM

What an impressive place! I hope to go there one day. Nice tips Andrea!

• pepples46's Profile Photo
    Aug 14, 2004 at 9:53 PM

yes, how did they do it?.....fantastic page, tanx I felt to have to come back today!!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Jul 16, 2004 at 2:55 AM

I saw the Condor - with its head down! Beautiful photos of this amazing place. Thank you!

• ahoerner's Profile Photo
    Jul 15, 2004 at 8:54 AM

Nice page! Another must-go trip for any south american! Bye, Alex

• o00o's Profile Photo
    Jun 21, 2004 at 2:48 PM

A well done page. I was here last month and I have wonderful time there..

• manuelEB's Profile Photo
    May 6, 2004 at 9:12 PM

Terca como una mula de ancas anchas y de pelambre negra...(-;

andal13

“I haven't got a motto(rbike), but I've got boots!”

Badges & Stats in Machu Picchu

Have you been to Machu Picchu?

Latest Activity in Machu Picchu