"The neighbourhood ...Then and Now" Kawasaki by RoseAmano
Kawasaki Travel Guide: 56 reviews and 140 photos
This is the 2nd of the "53 stages of Tokaido" , which are a series of woodblock prints scenes of different cities along the Ancient Tokaido Road (from Nihonbashi to Kyoto) as depicted by Hiroshige in 1831.
This set of work is well known and still popular in Japan today, and modern or original reprints of the woodblock of varying qualities may still be found in the art stores of today, some are sold individually or by entire set for all 55 prints (53 stops and two termini).
As the 3rd nor 1st stops of Hodogaya and Shinagawa are not listable at present, please see the woodblock print of terminal of Nihonbashi by clicking here.
Our home, Kawasaki, is generally seen as an industrial city, but are quite a few hidden tour spots here in the neighbourhood.
There is a Kawasaki Tourism Information Window which is operated by the City Hall, located opposite the ticket gates of JR Kawasaki Station. The Information Window features a video monitor with many brochures of interest. For now, the information is all in Japanese, and we'll be looking forward to posting here any new information we learn from there!
Kawasaki is located at the yellow dot in the centre. Other yellow labelled places are Tokyo to the North-Northeast, and
Yokohama to the South-West, so the location is perfectly convenient. The journey takes about 10 mins from either station on the JR Tokaido Line. You may also ride trains with local stops on JR Keihin Tohoku, and the Keihin Kyuko Line, which both runs roughly in parallel.
Several other branch train lines originating from Kawasaki are:
a) JR Nanbu Line leading toward West Tokyo way up into the mountains of Okutama.
b) branch line Keihin Kyuko Kawasaki Daishi Line leading towards the famous temple of same name and further out to the industrial districts.
c) and two more indirectly accessed really minor branch lines JR Tsurumi Line and JR Nambu Shisen transporting employees to one of Japan's major industrial districts which are the rectangular islands located southeast.
The blue line across Tokyo Bay is Aqualine Expressway.
The little aeroplane mark nearby is Haneda Airport, Tokyo's main domestic airport. There are however, some limited international flights from this airport at this time, namely the morning flights from here to Seoul Korea's domestic, hopefully there might be more in the future as a new terminal is currently under construction.
Scale 1:300,000 digital mapping created courtesy of the map function at http://www.yahoo.co.jp
- Pros:Hi-Tech Industry, Great Location, Long History, Nice View, Culture, Internationalised, and Shopping
- Cons:Seedy Sections, Terrible Morning Rush Hour, Crowds
- In a nutshell:Eclectic Mix, Anything in the World you want you can probably find
Many pachinko/game parlour, complete with the thundering roar of pinball and gaming machines and fog-dense smoky air,... more travel advice
Solid Square Office Bldg. on West Side of Kawasaki was opened from 1995. The location was previously a large factory of... more travel advice
- See All Kawasaki X'mas Night
- See All Here is a link (in Japanese) for...
- See All Japanese typcal summer food in Kawasaki
- See All Aqualine Expressway linking Kawasaki and...
- See All Fireworks Festival right in front of you
RoseAmano's Related Pages
Kawasaki Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The neighbourhood ...Then and Now"
- "Bus and Train Museum"
- "Nihon Minkaen"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kawasaki
- Hotels in Kawasaki
- Transportation in Kawasaki
- Nightlife in Kawasaki
- Restaurants in Kawasaki
- Shopping in Kawasaki
- Warnings and Dangers in Kawasaki
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kawasaki
- 51 Reviews
- 111 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 20 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (29)
Have you been to Kawasaki?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kawasaki
Photos in KawasakiSee All Photos (111)
Top 10 Pages
- Kawasaki Intro, 51 reviews, 111 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vladivostok Intro, 44 reviews, 89 photos, 2 travelogues
- Shiraz Intro, 32 reviews, 60 photos, 3 travelogues
- Esfahan Intro, 24 reviews, 64 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hakodate Intro, 17 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- Iran Intro, 27 reviews, 35 photos, 4 travelogues
- Havana Intro, 22 reviews, 35 photos
- Choshi Intro, 17 reviews, 39 photos
- Harbin Intro, 10 reviews, 44 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Changchun Intro, 10 reviews, 41 photos