"The white city" Top 5 Page for this destination Arequipa by christian99
Arequipa Travel Guide: 316 reviews and 746 photos
Arequipa is well known for its glistening white buildings made from sillar, a white volcanic rock, which gives the city its nickname 'La Ciudad Blanca' or 'The White City'.
Arequipa is Peru's second largest city and was founded in 1540. The site was chosen for its proximity to the coast, enabling settlers to trade the products of Cusco and the mines of Potosi (Bolivia) with Lima. The local cultivation of wheat, corn and grapes all contributed to the regions economic growth.
The city is surrounded by 3 volcanoes; El Misti, still active at 5822m, the higher and extinct Chachani 6075m and Pichu Pichu 5571m. The Incas highly respected these volcanoes since the melt water from their snow-capped peaks form the headwaters of the mighty Amazon River, thousands of kilometers away.
I suggest 3 hikes of 1 day around Arequipa, with different landscapes and difficulty levels. Tiabaya-El Huayco. Hike... more travel advice
Enjoy the feeling of biking freely through the fields, a few hours or the whole day. You can rent a bike more travel advice
christian99's Related Pages
Arequipa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Arequipa, the White City"
- "Creating a monster in Arequipa"
- "The White City of Arequipa"
- "The white city"
- "Santa Catalina Monastery"
- "Arequipa, Peru"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Arequipa
- Hotels in Arequipa
- Transportation in Arequipa
- Nightlife in Arequipa
- Restaurants in Arequipa
- Shopping in Arequipa
- Warnings and Dangers in Arequipa
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Arequipa
- 12 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Arequipa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Arequipa
Top 5 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Peru Intro, 37 reviews, 14 photos
- Lima Intro, 23 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arequipa Intro, 12 reviews, 12 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuzco Intro, 9 reviews, 6 photos
- Miami Beach Intro, 1 photo