"In the middle of the mountains" Utuado by carolinaEspada
Utuado Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 12 photos
The little town of Utuado is the place where my dad was born. Actually he was born in "Roncador", on a hill, ten minutes away from this town. And in 1957 I was baptised in the church of San Miguel.
Utuado is located in the middle of the island, a little bit towards the west in a mountain range.
I dont know why someone would stop there. Unfortunately, Utuado is neither pretty, neither exciting, neither nothing. It does not have the puertorican spirit neither the caribbean swing.
It might be a good place to stop in your way to somewhere else. To get gas, to have a nice lunch at Doña Felas Restaurant...
He was my uncle. My father's youngest brother (and, actually, like a "son" to him).
He was handsome and athletic. And brave. In the picture you will see him as he was in Panama, during some Panamerican Games.
Then the II World War came and he was sent to France. In the border with Germany, in Alsace, he was fighting accompanied by a troup of fellow puertorricans. A hand granade landed where they were and my uncle threw himself over the granade to protect his men. He was killed inmediately. The others didnt die. Sooo... he was named hero, and his widow recieved a flag and a condecoration... and my father was so heart broken that he left Puerto Rico and went to live in Venezuela.
My father was already living in a new country when he got other news: another one of his brothers had died comming back from fighting in II World War.
In Utuado there is a monument of a soldier, and there is the list of all those who have died during U.S. wars (Korea, Vietnam, Gulf, etc). My uncle's name is the first one.
There is no way to stop me from crying my heart out everytime I go to Utuado. I shouldnt go anymore.
- Pros:Hmmm... I really cant think of one... Maybe Doña Fela's restaurant...if you happen to be around...
- Cons:It is not a pretty town. Almost all of the stores sell really cheap and crappy stuff. People dont seem to be very happy at all.
- In a nutshell:It´s a great place to go and break down and cry... I always say: I dont want to live here!!! (and then everything is tears).
carolinaEspada's Related Pages
Badges & Stats in Utuado
- 0 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Utuado?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Utuado
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caracas Intro, 138 reviews, 183 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla El Gran Roque Intro, 53 reviews, 57 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Parque Nacional Canaima Intro, 18 reviews, 20 photos
- San José de Galipán Intro, 9 reviews, 11 photos
- Busto Arsizio Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos
- Besozzo Intro, 2 reviews, 5 photos
- Paris Intro, 1 review, 2 photos
- Nice Intro, 3 photos
- Varese Intro, 3 photos
- Dos Bocas Intro, 3 photos