"Big celebration at the top of the mountain" San José de Galipán by carolinaEspada
San José de Galipán Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 11 photos
Have you ever felt the urge to run away from it all? (At least for a day? For a couple of hours?)
In Venezuela we have that place about 20 minutes away from Caracas, the capital of the country.
Some people go there just to eat and celebrate any occasion: birthdays, weddings, graduations. But others go at any moment, in the middle of the week, looking for some hours of peace and quiet, fresh air, great view, nature.
We all need a place (near by) where we can go and forget all our problems for a little while. Dont we?
2004 update: I wrote this on Oct 2002, two years ago. On Dec. 11th, 2004 I went back, sat on the same spot, and the same poor-little-sweet-thing dog came and sat by my side. The diference: we are both two years wiser, it was a sunny day, you could see clearly the Caribbean sea, and I was dressed in redish-purple: "vino tino", the color of the red wine. That color is the oficial sport color for venezuelan teams when we go to play in other countries. Our fútbol (soccer) national team is called "La Vinotinto"... and we feel very proud of them.
See the map. On the North is the Caribbean sea.
The international airport is in Maiquetía, right by the sea. Then there is the "Cordillera de la Costa" (the coast mountain range) with the most beautiful mountain from them all: "El Avila".
30 minutes from the airport, by a huge high way, going up the mountains, crossing the range straight to the South, and arriving to a valley that is in the other side, is the capital of Venezuela: Caracas. The city is 1000 meters above the sea level. And is a biiiiig city.
Then, entering "El Parque Nacional El Avila" (El Avila National Park) by a small, but very well constructed and inclined road, you go up the mountain (even higher), turn around (from South to North) and, from a beautiful location you can see the Caribbean sea, tiny planes and boats extremely far away, and the clouds, and the pink sunset.
- Pros:It`s a great, secluded and safe place for gatherings and celebrations.
- Cons:There is not much more to do.
- In a nutshell:You'll never guess that you are only 20 minutes away from the huge and noisy Caracas, the capital of Venezuela.
Caracas is called "the city of the eternal spring" and your year's temperature always go from 70's to 80's degrees... more travel advice
Travel light. Always travel light. So here you are, in Venezuela, in a tropical country. But you are in the top of a... more travel advice
carolinaEspada's Related Pages
San José de Galipán Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Big celebration at the top of the mountain"
- Create a San José de Galipán Travel Page
- Transportation in San José de Galipán
- Restaurants in San José de Galipán
- Shopping in San José de Galipán
- Warnings and Dangers in San José de Galipán
- See All...
Badges & Stats in San José de Galipán
- 9 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to San José de Galipán?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in San José de Galipán
Photos in San José de GalipánSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caracas Intro, 138 reviews, 183 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla El Gran Roque Intro, 53 reviews, 57 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Parque Nacional Canaima Intro, 18 reviews, 20 photos
- San José de Galipán Intro, 9 reviews, 11 photos
- Busto Arsizio Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos
- Besozzo Intro, 2 reviews, 5 photos
- Paris Intro, 1 review, 2 photos
- Nice Intro, 3 photos
- Varese Intro, 3 photos
- Dos Bocas Intro, 3 photos