"Big celebration at the top of the mountain" San José de Galipán by carolinaEspada

San José de Galipán Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 11 photos

Eating, drinking and beeing happy!

Have you ever felt the urge to run away from it all? (At least for a day? For a couple of hours?)

In Venezuela we have that place about 20 minutes away from Caracas, the capital of the country.

Some people go there just to eat and celebrate any occasion: birthdays, weddings, graduations. But others go at any moment, in the middle of the week, looking for some hours of peace and quiet, fresh air, great view, nature.

We all need a place (near by) where we can go and forget all our problems for a little while. Dont we?

2004 update: I wrote this on Oct 2002, two years ago. On Dec. 11th, 2004 I went back, sat on the same spot, and the same poor-little-sweet-thing dog came and sat by my side. The diference: we are both two years wiser, it was a sunny day, you could see clearly the Caribbean sea, and I was dressed in redish-purple: "vino tino", the color of the red wine. That color is the oficial sport color for venezuelan teams when we go to play in other countries. Our fútbol (soccer) national team is called "La Vinotinto"... and we feel very proud of them.

On the mountain, but where?

See the map. On the North is the Caribbean sea.

The international airport is in Maiquetía, right by the sea. Then there is the "Cordillera de la Costa" (the coast mountain range) with the most beautiful mountain from them all: "El Avila".

30 minutes from the airport, by a huge high way, going up the mountains, crossing the range straight to the South, and arriving to a valley that is in the other side, is the capital of Venezuela: Caracas. The city is 1000 meters above the sea level. And is a biiiiig city.

Then, entering "El Parque Nacional El Avila" (El Avila National Park) by a small, but very well constructed and inclined road, you go up the mountain (even higher), turn around (from South to North) and, from a beautiful location you can see the Caribbean sea, tiny planes and boats extremely far away, and the clouds, and the pink sunset.

• Pros:It`s a great, secluded and safe place for gatherings and celebrations.
  • Cons:There is not much more to do.
  • In a nutshell:You'll never guess that you are only 20 minutes away from the huge and noisy Caracas, the capital of Venezuela.
  • Last visit to San José de Galipán: Oct 2002
  • Intro Updated Dec 12, 2004

carolinaEspada

“Sooner or later I will be back to VT. First I have to upgrade my computer. I cant read your emails, nor "forum"...”

Badges & Stats in San José de Galipán

Have you been to San José de Galipán?