"Hidden Valley of Emerald Stream" Trenta by KristaB
Trenta Travel Guide: 20 reviews and 85 photos
Tucked away behind high mountain peaks, this valley carved by glaciers and water offers unique sights of beauty and peace as well as some really adventurous sports activities.
Another glacier carved valley that is connected to Trenta is
A clear, sunny and cold winter day.
From Ljubljana, we went through Kranjska Gora, passed by this lovely lake Jasna on our way up towards Vrsic mountain pass.
Narrow curvy road towards Vrsic offers many wonderful views of surrounding mountain peaks.
This area is often shaken by earthquakes, the one that recently happened (12th of July 2004) took a life of one Italian mountaineer and caused lots of damage(4,9 on a Richter scale) .
On the Easter, 12th of April1998 Posocje area was hit by 5,6 Richter strong earthquake, which caused huge damage, many families lost their homes, and the renovation is still going on. The main earthquake was followed by unusually high number of aftershocks, so inhabitants had to stay out and live under tents for days.
Slovenian poet Simon Gregorcic (1844-1906), was born here, in Vrsno. One of his poems - "To The Soca" - is a prophetic vision of war, written in 1879
And frightening you, poor,
A storm awful, a storm fearless
Will come from bitter south,
Rage madly through you fertile plain,
That is watered by your stream -
Woe, that day is coming closer!
Over you an arch clear,
Through you the rain of lead,
And bloody rain and stream of tears
And lightning and thunder ...
The Soca valley was the location of major military clashes during the First World War, better known as Soska (Isonzo) Front. Numerous battles were raging from 1915 to 1917. It took more than a million lives of soldiers from Italy, Austria, Slovenia and some other nations, and many civilians.
- Pros:Stunning beauty of unspoiled nature
- Cons:Hard to reach, especially during winter
- In a nutshell:Amazing
This area was very isolated for centuries, the road across Vrsic mountain pass which was built in 1916 enabled locals to... more travel advice
KristaB's Related Pages
Trenta Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hidden Valley of Emerald Stream"
- "the heart of the Triglav National Park"
- "The Trenta valley and the source of the Soča"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Trenta
- 13 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 20 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (31)
Have you been to Trenta?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Trenta
Photos in TrentaSee All Photos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- Slovenia Intro, 26 reviews, 63 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hvar Intro, 24 reviews, 53 photos, 4 travelogues
- Croatia Intro, 27 reviews, 46 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isle of Man Intro, 25 reviews, 39 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Otok Krk Intro, 25 reviews, 29 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 4 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ohrid Intro, 4 reviews, 44 photos, 4 travelogues
- Lago di Garda Intro, 20 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Valeggio sul Mincio Intro, 47 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vis Intro, 15 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue