"Island full of hidden gems" Top 5 Page for this destination Hvar by KristaB
Hvar Travel Guide: 378 reviews and 1,004 photos
I have been returning to Hvar for more than 30 years, and I believe it will never cease to fascinate me.
Rich architecture, nature, kind people, scent of lavender and rosemary, grilled fish and salty air. Fertile land behind Stari Grad is still shaped as "Hora" as it was after the collonisation of Greek settlers from island Paros in the Aegean sea in the fourth century B.C. Before the Greek, local settlers have been cultivating land since Neolithic times, organizing and improving the fertile fields in the central area between Stari Grad, Vrisnik, Pitve and Jelsa. The orientation towards agriculture instead of towards fishing is still noticeable in local culture.
The shape of the island is very long, and its most southern tip is very close to the mainland, which enabled very early inhabitants to collonize the island and has probably helped them reach other, more distant islands in the area. Local museums host interesting arceological finds, although those most valuable are kept in Split and Zagreb archeological museums.
If you care to get a broader overview of local history, I recommend a visit to Archaeological mueum in Split, if your journey takes you through this fascinating city. The museum isn't too large and overwhelming, and it usually has an interesting choice of high quality souvenirs and books in foreign languages as well. Armed with a few or more facts about local history, you might find your journey much more interesting and amusing.
During our "safari" trip we visited Grapceva cave, a hidden well preserved cave with interesting history -... more travel advice
Personal approach, lovely location above the beach, great cuisine. You can choose between rooms in the main building... more travel advice
- See All Undewater Wine Cellar
- Local Wines - Great & Strong!
- See All Moonstaring
- See All Agave
KristaB's Related Pages
Hvar Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Island full of hidden gems"
- "Hvar - holiday h'ven"
- "Hvar, Croatia"
- "The Island of Hvar"
- "Beautiful Havar"
- "Holiday 2008 Summer"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hvar
- Hotels in Hvar
- Transportation in Hvar
- Nightlife in Hvar
- Restaurants in Hvar
- Shopping in Hvar
- Warnings and Dangers in Hvar
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hvar
- 24 Reviews
- 53 Photos
- 24 Forum posts
- 42 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (41)
Have you been to Hvar?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hvar
Top 10 Pages
- Slovenia Intro, 26 reviews, 63 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hvar Intro, 24 reviews, 53 photos, 4 travelogues
- Croatia Intro, 27 reviews, 46 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isle of Man Intro, 25 reviews, 39 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Otok Krk Intro, 25 reviews, 29 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 4 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ohrid Intro, 4 reviews, 44 photos, 4 travelogues
- Lago di Garda Intro, 20 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Valeggio sul Mincio Intro, 47 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vis Intro, 15 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue