"SILENT ECHOES OF TURBULENT PAST" Top 5 Page for this destination Korcula by KristaB
Korcula Travel Guide: 163 reviews and 441 photos
Greeks named this island Korykira Melania, in 4th century b.c.
Then Romans came and named it Korykira Nigra - because of its dense forests.
Korykira slowly evolved into Korcula (korchula).
Overlooking the sea passage between island Korcula and Peljesac peninsula, this small fortified town played rather important strategic role in this part of the Adriatic.
Many powerful forces were fighting to take over Korcula - Venetians and Genovesi, Turks, later also Austrians, French, Russians and English.
The most famous battle in this area was sea battle between Genoan and Venetian forces - 180 galleys clashed here in 1298. Genoa won, and Marco Polo was taken to Venice as a prisoner. During his captivity he narrated his stories of Far East explorations, which made him famous all over Europe.
The town is densely built with the grid of streets that resemble fish bone pattern. Buildings are predominantly of Gothic and Renaissance style, with some Baroque ones from 17th and 18th century.
The people of Korcula were excellent stonemasons, seafarers and shipbuilders - their skills were respected all over Adriatic area and further.
Dense forests provided excellent wood for ships and wine barrels - production of wine is another tradition of island Korcula. There are numerous gardens and olive orchards, unfortunately some were destroyed in recent fires.
Their shipbuilding tradition is impressive - for those of you who love sea and ships here is the link to one very interesting site about Korcula shipbuilders:
Within the old town city walls, you will notice that some buildings have the amblem "Bratovscina ..." - "Fraternity of... more travel advice
Marco Polo was born in 1254. probably in Korcula - his father Nikola (Niccolo) was a successful merchant who together... more travel advice
KristaB's Related Pages
Korcula Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A living open air museum"
- "Quaint island town on Korcula."
- "SILENT ECHOES OF TURBULENT PAST"
- "7 Days in Korcula"
- "Welcome To Town Korcula"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Korcula
- Hotels in Korcula
- Transportation in Korcula
- Nightlife in Korcula
- Restaurants in Korcula
- Shopping in Korcula
- Warnings and Dangers in Korcula
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Korcula
- 7 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (42)
Have you been to Korcula?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Korcula
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: How much your prepared to pay..."
- Commented on one of Marianne2's Korcula travel pages
- updated a Korcula Travel Page "SILENT ECHOES OF TURBULENT PAST"
- Uploaded a Photo to "SILENT ECHOES OF TURBULENT PAST"
- Wrote a Review Traditions From Middle Ages Still Alive in Korcula Things to Do
Top 10 Pages
- Slovenia Intro, 26 reviews, 63 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hvar Intro, 24 reviews, 53 photos, 4 travelogues
- Croatia Intro, 27 reviews, 46 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isle of Man Intro, 25 reviews, 39 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Otok Krk Intro, 25 reviews, 29 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 4 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ohrid Intro, 4 reviews, 44 photos, 4 travelogues
- Lago di Garda Intro, 20 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Valeggio sul Mincio Intro, 47 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vis Intro, 15 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue