"Krk - The Golden Island" Top 5 Page for this destination Otok Krk by KristaB
Otok Krk Travel Guide: 188 reviews and 517 photos
The largest island of the Adriatic Sea, Krk is situated in the Kvarner Bay in Northern Adriatic.
The island was inhabited since ancient times, since it is close to the mainland. In the 7th century, Croats joined Illyrian tribes who were already living there. Seven ancient castles became seven main cities: Krk, Omisalj, Malinska, Punat, Baska, Vrbnik and Dobrinj. Each of those seven areas has its distinctive dialect, local customs, folklore dances and costumes.
Since the island is connected to the mainland by the bridge, this is one of very few islands with population growing instead of declining, due to developing economy (tourism, shipyards, construction, farming). Rijeka Airport is actually situated on Krk Island, which serves as a great support to local tourism.
The town Krk is a "capitol" of this island. Lovely Mediterranean town, with old fortresses, beautiful church, narrow curvy old streets and very nice promenade along the waterfront.
During summer months, interesting cultural events taking place there, usually on the main square - concerts, folk-dances etc.
Wonderful atrium inside the fortress (center of the picture) hosts lovely concerts of classical music, jazz and other cultural events. Superb atmosphere, great acoustics.
Krk is famous for its olive oil, golden and tender in taste. Harvesting olives becomes more and more popular tourist attraction, and is accompanied with interesting gastronomic events.
Another Epicurean amenity of this island is Vrbnicka Zlahtina wine, white, dry, with rich bouquet that makes a fine accompaniment to local cuisine, focused on fresh fish, vegetables and lamb meat.
Krk is a great destination for active (diving, wind-surfing) or lazy holidays, for those seeking unspoiled nature as well for crowd-party fans.
The island was long ago christened the Golden, maybe for its sunsets, golden pebbly beaches, olive oil, wine, honey…
Really lovely and very popular = terribly crowded during July and August, “Vela Plaza” beach in Baska. Natural round... more travel advice
KristaB's Related Pages
Otok Krk Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Otok Krk"
- "Krk - The Golden Island"
- "Krk: Off-the-beaten-path"
- "Island Krk - The Golden Island"
- "Krk (the Island and the Town)"
- "The Island of Krk"
- "Krk. Some more pics."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Otok Krk
- Hotels in Otok Krk
- Transportation in Otok Krk
- Nightlife in Otok Krk
- Restaurants in Otok Krk
- Shopping in Otok Krk
- Warnings and Dangers in Otok Krk
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Otok Krk
- 25 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 52 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (32)
Have you been to Otok Krk?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Otok Krk
Photos in Otok KrkSee All Photos (28)
Top 10 Pages
- Slovenia Intro, 26 reviews, 63 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hvar Intro, 24 reviews, 53 photos, 4 travelogues
- Croatia Intro, 27 reviews, 46 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isle of Man Intro, 25 reviews, 39 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Otok Krk Intro, 25 reviews, 29 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 4 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ohrid Intro, 4 reviews, 44 photos, 4 travelogues
- Lago di Garda Intro, 20 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Valeggio sul Mincio Intro, 47 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vis Intro, 15 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue