"Edward and Wallis? And much more!" Rab by KristaB
Rab Travel Guide: 79 reviews and 110 photos
Rab is famous for its charming medieval old town, dense black forests, numerous pebble beaches, and sandy beaches on the northern tip. Tourism began developing since the City council of Rab in 1889 established special comity to manage roads, rooms and beaches for tourists. Part of Rab's fame should be attributed to King Edward VIII and Wallis Simpson, who were formally allowed to swim naked. This gradually resulted in naturism becoming accepted along Croatia's coastline, without ghettos and high fences that would only provoke peeking.
The four bell towers are Rab's landmark. One belongs to the Monastery of St Andrija (built in 1675), the highest one to Romanesque Cathedral of St Marija, one is part of the St Justina Church (museum of religious art), and the fourth is St Ivan's bell tower (built during 10th and 11th century by benedictine monks).
View from 26 m high St Marija bell tower is stunning - you can see the whole town and large part of the island. The cross on top of the pyramidal roof contains five metal balls with sacred artifacts belonging to saints, amongst which there are also the "powers" of St Barbara, protector from the storms.
The Rab Musical Evenings, organized in the church of the Holy Cross (June to August), offer concerts performed by Croatian and international musicians. The most attractive summer event is the Rab Tournament, which used to take place as early as 1364, commemorating the defense of the town by the knights. The tournament takes place twice a year, on 9th of May and 27th of July.
At the eastern tip of Rab you can see how strong the power of Bura wind is in this area - blowing in gushes from those... more travel advice
Kordic family is famous for their tradition in catching and preparing lobsters. Their restaurant is on a route of every... more travel advice
KristaB's Related Pages
Rab Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "One of The Most Beautiful Islands in Croatia..."
- "Edward and Wallis? And much more!"
- "Travelling to & from Rab by public transport"
- "Rab town"
- "OTOK RAB"
- "Summer Holiday in Rab"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rab
- Hotels in Rab
- Nightlife in Rab
- Restaurants in Rab
- Shopping in Rab
- Warnings and Dangers in Rab
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rab
- 11 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 23 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (41)
Have you been to Rab?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rab
Top 10 Pages
- Slovenia Intro, 26 reviews, 63 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hvar Intro, 24 reviews, 53 photos, 4 travelogues
- Croatia Intro, 27 reviews, 46 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isle of Man Intro, 25 reviews, 39 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Otok Krk Intro, 25 reviews, 29 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 4 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ohrid Intro, 4 reviews, 44 photos, 4 travelogues
- Lago di Garda Intro, 20 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Valeggio sul Mincio Intro, 47 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vis Intro, 15 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue