Slovenia Local Custom Tips by KristaB
Slovenia Local Customs: 73 reviews and 61 photos
"Naaa planincah lustno jeee...!"
There is no good festivity in Slovenia without an accordion!
Weddings, fairs, gatherings, races, sports events - if you hear an accordion, you know the cheerful crowd is near.
These two players were improving the festive atmosphere of a wonderful day in Arboretum Volcji Potok.
Carnival celebrations are ancient tradition dedicated to reawakening of the nature. Most recognizable character in that ritual is Kurent - creature that dances violently, shakes large bells that are hanging around it's belt and calls for Spring to wake up the nature.
These came to our primary school, because even though kids were enjoying sledging and playing with snow, their teachers have turned pages in text-books, noticed the title "Spring" and decided to call in the Kurents to take care of the situation - they need spring flowers both for poetry and biology lessons.
Homemade Pirhi by Kristina
Back in the last millennium, egg paints were not so easily available, so people figured out how to make their eggs look prettier. This method is well known in many European countries.
No wonder Slovenia joined EU so easily.
You need exactly quite some onion peels - preferably red ones, then some eggs and a pot.
For decorations pick some lovely flowers and leafs, but choose soft flat ones.
Place these "stencils" on the egg, insert it carefully into a sheer nylon stocking and tie a tight knot.
Pot - layer of onion peels - eggs - onion peels
Add cold water, slowly bring to boil, cook on a low heat for 5 minutes and leave to cool in that pot.
To achieve this mesmerizing shiny effect, rub on some pork fat while the eggs are still warm.
Children at school are making Butara bouquets, traditional offering for Easter. They are made of branches of evergreen trees and colored wooden ribbons. Available in grocerie markets and souvenir shops.
Pisanice - easter eggs
Pisanice eggs are made by piercing the raw eggs, blowing out the content, and then decorating with ornamental patterns. Some use the scraping technique - coloring and scraping off the paint. The other, more demanding method is to cover parts that should not be colored with hot wax in several steps to achieve multicolored effect.
Pisanice eggs can be purchased in souvenir shops, they last forever - if you don't break them!
One of optional courses in primary school is lace making. Traditional craftsmanship is passed on through generations and is getting even more popular today. It takes a lot of patience, so I was really impressed to see kids that are usually playing with computer games enjoy such a demanding work. These two girls were showing their skill during yearly Open Doors day at our local school.
More Reviews (20)
- See All Road trip to Bled, Bohinj, Kobarid
- See All Slovenia Round Trip Suggestion
- See All Go to Hell!
KristaB's Related Pages
Slovenia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "On the Sunny Side of The Alps"
- "Slovenija, lepa dezela (beautiful country)"
- "Small country of numerous wonders"
- "The Julian Alps"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Slovenia
- Hotels in Slovenia
- Transportation in Slovenia
- Nightlife in Slovenia
- Restaurants in Slovenia
- Shopping in Slovenia
- Warnings and Dangers in Slovenia
- See All...
Explore the World
- Warmond Hotels
- Yorba Linda Hotels
- Carcassonne Hotels
- Yang-ming-shan Kung-yuan Hotels
- Mae Sai
- Penang Local Customs
- San Carlos de Bariloche Local Customs
- Street Vendors/Street Food
- S.F. Nicknames / Pride
- Bukhara Local Customs
- Vilanova i la Geltru Local Customs
- Bangalore Local Customs
- Rishikesh Local Customs
- Provincia de Puerto Plata Local Customs
- Interacting with the Bostonian
- Glasgow Local Customs
- Sitges Local Customs
Badges & Stats in Slovenia
- 59 Reviews
- 196 Photos
- 179 Forum posts
- 3 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (35)
Have you been to Slovenia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Slovenia
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Jamaica and then some ... "
- Commented on one of CatherineReichardt's Slovenia travel pages
- Wrote a Review Road trip to Bled, Bohinj, Kobarid in Slovenia Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Slovenia Round Trip Suggestion"
- updated a Slovenia Travelogue "Some Nourishing Lyrics"
Top 10 Pages
- Slovenia Intro, 26 reviews, 63 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hvar Intro, 24 reviews, 53 photos, 4 travelogues
- Croatia Intro, 27 reviews, 46 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isle of Man Intro, 25 reviews, 39 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Otok Krk Intro, 25 reviews, 29 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 4 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ohrid Intro, 4 reviews, 44 photos, 4 travelogues
- Lago di Garda Intro, 20 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Valeggio sul Mincio Intro, 47 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vis Intro, 15 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
Top Slovenia hotels
- Ljubljana Hotels
- 1958 Reviews - 4376 Photos
- Bled Hotels
- 766 Reviews - 1778 Photos
- Piran Hotels
- 510 Reviews - 1200 Photos
- Kranjska Gora Hotels
- 146 Reviews - 370 Photos
- Maribor Hotels
- 364 Reviews - 904 Photos
- Koper Hotels
- 136 Reviews - 383 Photos
- Portoroz Hotels
- 54 Reviews - 99 Photos
- Ptuj Hotels
- 68 Reviews - 166 Photos
- Most na Soci Hotels
- 24 Reviews - 71 Photos
- Celje Hotels
- 141 Reviews - 380 Photos
- Strunjan Hotels
- 5 Hotels
- Postojna Hotels
- 139 Reviews - 410 Photos
- Izola Hotels
- 32 Reviews - 82 Photos
- Catez ob Savi Hotels
- 4 Hotels
- Bovec Hotels
- 67 Reviews - 232 Photos