"Unstructured retrospective under construction" KristaB's Profile

Plunge in

Change is good. In the last year or so, I went on a few spontaneous short holiday escapes with friends, met a new friend on a train, helped organize an improvised wedding ceremony by the sea, held newborn babies and dying hands, which reminded me that life is a terminal disease.

Improvising

I don’t plan my travels to a minute, but rather have a basic timeframe with bookings that are really necessary, so there’s quite a lot of leeway for improvising. Suffering from a complete lack of interest to ‘consume’ large quantities of famous destinations and local sights, I rather observe and communicate with the locals, unless my presence and curiosity might be imposing and disrespectful towards their situation.

Weddings and funerals

I was selected to be the official Spontaneous Wedding photographer & videographer - since the couple had no idea an informal wedding is being organized for them, we had to prepare everything in secrecy. This involved inflating baloons in a tent, running and hiding in bushes, drinking beer all morning so we can have enough empty cans to tie to their car etc. I made the top of her wedding dress from a mosquito net.

Some drama is inevitable

This specific excursion to Istria was about nurturing appetite for culture.
A stunning open-air performance of King Lear includes the audience moving from one authentic ruin to another and close encounters with actors.

Sadly, I forgot to take my camera to Tom Jones concert in Pula Arena. That dude is such an amazing performer and at the tender age of 70 still steamin' hot, all four of us ladies aged from 35 to 55 had a blast, our hips were burning but not from arthritis!

Helping friends

How could I possibly refuse a pledge from a friend to join her on her medical conference trip to Florence? That's what friends are for!

• Intro Updated Apr 19, 2013

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!