"Loreto, Baja California Sur" Top 5 Page for this destination Loreto by windsorgirl

Loreto Travel Guide: 161 reviews and 370 photos

I began my tour of Baja in Loreto. This is where many of the kayaking groups depart from, including mine. Our hotel was located on the beach and we awoke every morning to a beautiful sunrise such as this.

Loreto was first settled in 1697 and was the original capital of Baja, but after many years of destruction by not only hurricanes, but earthquakes, the capitol was relocated to La Paz.

Loreto has a wonderful location between the Sierra Giganta Mountain Ranges and the Sea of Cortez. It attracts a large number of American and Canadian tourists. Therefore it has many good restaurants and cafes, and also shopping opportunities.

I think Loreto makes a good base for exploring the Bahia de la Concepcion to the north, Magdelena Bay to the west and the Sierra Giganta coast to the south. You may even come across a travelling orange salesman on your journey.

• Last visit to Loreto: Feb 2004
  • Intro Updated Feb 29, 2004

• Agraichen's Profile Photo
    Oct 18, 2008 at 4:41 PM

Excellent description of my (now) second home.

• annk's Profile Photo
    Jan 15, 2007 at 6:53 PM

Thanks for the tips, we are headed there next month. We love kayaking so it seems like an ideal spot for a vacation.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Nov 23, 2005 at 3:59 AM

Lovely Loreto. Kayaking, Whale watching. All things you love to do eh! Cool whale pic.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Apr 8, 2005 at 12:22 PM

Kathy, a beautiful page as always! This is an amazing looking spot, what a coastline!! Good move on the whale-watching, US$120 seemed a trifle steep to me!

• catalysta's Profile Photo
    Jan 17, 2005 at 11:55 AM

Nicely done! Your photos are lovely too. I was curious to see what Loreto's about, Alaska Airlines has just added it to their schedule...cat

• pigletsmom's Profile Photo
    Apr 1, 2004 at 6:09 PM

Good photos and info. I hope to visit Loreto next year. It looks very lovely.

windsorgirl

“Enjoy the little things for one day you will look back and realize they were the big things.”

Badges & Stats in Loreto