"Canada's First Capital....Kingston" Top 5 Page for this destination Kingston by windsorgirl
Kingston Travel Guide: 185 reviews and 397 photos
No visit to Kingston would be complete without a cruise of The Thousand Islands. A highlight of your cruise will certainly be the beautiful Boldt Castle. This photo is not of the castle, but merely the power house from which electricity for the castle was to be generated back in the 1890's. By the ornate beauty of this utilitarian structure, you can imagine the grandeur of Boldt Castle itself.
Did you know that Thousand Island Dressing was created here by a chef from the Waldorf Astoria? He had spent time here at the summer home of his employer, and came up with the new concoction at the request of Mr. Boldt.
Kingston is a city full of historical significance. It was built at a very strategic location where the St.Lawrence River enters Lake Ontario and served as Canada's first Capital City from 1841 to 1844. It didn't take long for someone to realize that it's location was far too close to the American border and so the city lost it's Capital Status after only three short years.
Kingston is also considered the home of Canada's First Prime Minister, Sir John A. MacDonald, eventhough he was born in Glasgow, Scotland and immigrated here with his parents at age 5. You can see many tributes to Sir John throughout Kingston including a statue at City Park, a freeway named in his honour, several of his homes and the graves of himself and his family.
Kingston is known for it's impressive 19th century limestone homes and buildings. You will find examples of these everywhere, at the Royal Military College, Queens University and throughout the downtown core.
Kingston is located a 250 kms east of Toronto on the 401 at the eastern shores of Lake Ontario.
This beautiful gothic styled cathedral was completed in 1848 and built from limestone quarried on the spot. It features... more travel advice
If you are interested in life on the Great Lakes and the art of shipbuilding, then you would enjoy spending a few hours... more travel advice
windsorgirl's Related Pages
Kingston Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kingston and the 1000 Islands"
- "Canada's First Capital....Kingston"
- "A beautiful drive to Kingston"
- "A City Full of History"
- "My Kingston and Wolfe Island page"
- "Canada's First Capital"
- "Deus_ultima's new Kingston Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kingston
- Hotels in Kingston
- Transportation in Kingston
- Nightlife in Kingston
- Restaurants in Kingston
- Shopping in Kingston
- Warnings and Dangers in Kingston
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kingston
- 11 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Kingston?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kingston
Photos in KingstonSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Thornbury Intro, 22 reviews, 103 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Windsor Intro, 26 reviews, 61 photos, 4 travelogues
- Vietnam Intro, 33 reviews, 43 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Ontario Intro, 31 reviews, 34 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tobermory Intro, 26 reviews, 38 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Ignacio Intro, 15 reviews, 48 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Northern Territory Intro, 26 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Estado de Baja California Sur Intro, 15 reviews, 33 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arches National Park Intro, 20 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Baffin Island Intro, 10 reviews, 38 photos, 3 travelogues