"A Home Away from Home" Thornbury by windsorgirl
Thornbury Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 114 photos
Grey County is located along the southern shores of Georgian Bay between the towns of Wiarton and Collingwood. The Niagara Escarpment zig zags through the county offering great hiking and skiing opportunities in addition to the scenic beauty of the steep limestone cliffs rising from the forests. The Beaver River and Beaver Valley also dissect Grey county. The river is a great place for canoeing, kayaking and fishing.
Thornbury is a small "one stoplight" town located at the mouth of the Beaver River at the shores of Georgian Bay. It can be found in the west of Grey County about half way between Meaford and Collingwood. Thornbury will be my base for exploring Grey County in the future.
Georgian Bay is typically very rocky but the water is crystal clear. In many places the water is quite deep and therefore very cold. However along the shores in Thornbury the water is shallow and the temperature is very pleasant. This little beach is located near our cottage and is a great place for swimming, sunsets and photography.
I love flowers, and love seeing fields of them along roadsides, rivers, bike paths and beaches in Grey county. In spring you will see lilac, trillium, columbine and apple blossoms and in the summer there will be wild daisies, sweat pea and so many more that I can't name.
The trillium is Ontario's Provincial Flower. It is named so for it's three petals. There are literally carpets of trillium in bloom in the month of May in Grey County, at the base of tall deciduous forests. Trillium are most often found in white but we also saw pink and burgundy specimens.
I like to ride my bike to Clarksburg. It is only 15-20 minutes up the main street of Thornbury (Bruce St) before you... more travel advice
You may visit Hoggs Falls as part of the Grey County waterfall tour, and if you do, you may want to take an extra 30... more travel advice
windsorgirl's Related Pages
Thornbury Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Thornbury
- Hotels in Thornbury
- Nightlife in Thornbury
- Shopping in Thornbury
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Thornbury
- 22 Reviews
- 103 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (23)
Have you been to Thornbury?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Thornbury
Photos in ThornburySee All Photos (103)
Top 10 Pages
- Thornbury Intro, 22 reviews, 103 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Windsor Intro, 26 reviews, 61 photos, 4 travelogues
- Vietnam Intro, 33 reviews, 43 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Ontario Intro, 31 reviews, 34 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tobermory Intro, 26 reviews, 38 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Ignacio Intro, 15 reviews, 48 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Northern Territory Intro, 26 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Estado de Baja California Sur Intro, 15 reviews, 33 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arches National Park Intro, 20 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Baffin Island Intro, 10 reviews, 38 photos, 3 travelogues