"The Beautiful Bruce Peninsula" Top 5 Page for this destination Tobermory by windsorgirl

Tobermory Travel Guide: 114 reviews and 280 photos

The Bruce Peninsula lies between Lake Huron and Georgian Bay about 350kms northwest of Toronto. The Peninsula itself is 90 kms long from Wiarton in the south to Tobermory in the north.

A Varied Landscape

The Lake Huron side of the peninsula is fairly flat with some good sandy beaches. However the Georgian Bay side, is rocky and rugged, with the spectacular white cliffs of the Niagara Escarpment towering 40 m above the clear waters of Georgian Bay. In between, you will find bucolic farms and rural cottages.

The Bruce Trail

The Bruce Peninsula is famous for the Bruce Trail, a hiking path that stretches for 782 kms from Niagara Falls to Tobermory. The path follows the scenic Niagara Escarpment as closely as possible, passing through 1000 year old cedar forests, open meadows, small villages and past some stunning coastal viewpoints of Georgian Bay.

Be sure to hike at least a portion of this trail while visiting the Bruce Peninsula. I will write descriptions for a few sections that I did under Sports Activities.

• Last visit to Tobermory: Aug 2004
  • Intro Updated Apr 14, 2008

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Aug 3, 2009 at 3:52 PM

I have a brother right up at the tip of UP, and he loves it for the serenity. Cedarville, Mich. Good pics of this town on the Canada side

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Jun 5, 2006 at 1:36 PM

A place for me perhaps in the future = just loved the lighthouses & gardens Superb hiking & trail tips

• jamiesno's Profile Photo
    Apr 26, 2006 at 7:50 PM

Kathy I am actually on the Bruce Peninsula right now. So I am going to get you to check out my page when this trip is over? :-) Want to VT Meet? LOL

• mtncorg's Profile Photo
    Sep 20, 2004 at 10:48 AM

A very fascinating piece of Ontario to keep one's attention away from the lack of NHL play this season;-] Complete with the obligatory grand photography.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Sep 8, 2004 at 11:46 AM

Hi there: Awesome pix especially the lighthouses. I am in awe of your work Kathy. Hugs. Lori

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Aug 21, 2004 at 2:35 PM

OK, you've sold us. Before I even finished reading these pages I got out our atlas and was looking up Tobermory and the Bruce Penninsula. It's now on our "Must See" list for sure. As usual, great stuff!

• sim1's Profile Photo
    Aug 19, 2004 at 11:29 PM

Excellent page about the Bruce Peninsula! So happy to find your page here! I never got round to do work on mine :-( Maybe some day :-) I walked part of the Bruce Trail and loved it. Reading your page makes me remember how beautiful this place is. Thanks!

• MURRA's Profile Photo
    Aug 17, 2004 at 10:22 AM

GOOD INFO ON TOBERMORY AND NORTH END OF BRUCE TRAIL

• Aug 15, 2004 at 5:01 PM

An excellent page for a region where I spent many summers during my younger days. No one believes me when I say there are rattlers on the Bruce... now I can show them proof!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Aug 15, 2004 at 4:56 PM

Beaut photos of the escarpment and the surrounding area!! This looks like an awesome place to explore. A very well-done page!

windsorgirl

“Enjoy the little things for one day you will look back and realize they were the big things.”

Badges & Stats in Tobermory

Have you been to Tobermory?