"Waterton Lakes, An Undiscovered Gem" Top 5 Page for this destination Waterton Lakes National Park by windsorgirl

Waterton Lakes National Park Travel Guide: 195 reviews and 372 photos

Waterton Lakes National Park lies in southern Alberta on the border with Montana, USA. It forms one half of the world's first International Peace Park, the other half being Glacier National Park, Montana.

This park is 270 kms south of Calgary and 380 kms southeast of Banff. Because of its distance from Banff, it is less visited and certainly less touristy than the very popular Banff and Lake Louise.....to me, this is a great part of its appeal.

Waterton Lakes NP is described as "where the mountains meet the prairie". That is evident in this photo. The lack of foothills here has created a unique ecosystem, with prairie plant species intermixing with alpine vegetation to create over 960 species of unique plants, which in turn attracts a very large number of different mammals, birds and insects to a very small region.

Although Waterton Lakes is the smallest National Park in the Canadian Rockies at only 525 sq kms, it harbours the largest diversity of flora and fauna.

• Last visit to Waterton Lakes National Park: Jul 2002
  • Intro Updated Jul 7, 2004

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Jul 25, 2006 at 10:06 AM

Excellent pages, Kathy, both in your writing and your photography. We're off to Waterton & Glacer NP next month. Can't wait.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    May 11, 2006 at 7:30 AM

Great information, as always, and beautiful photos to boot! The hikes and lake cruise sound very interesting, especially in a vista like this! My wife and I hope to see for ourselves in July.

• SpagBoll's Profile Photo
    Jul 30, 2005 at 10:51 PM

Great tip. Nice pic as well. I take it you have a zoom lens then?

• Buckz's Profile Photo
    Apr 22, 2005 at 12:53 AM

Fabulous bear picture- and you were certainly close enough!

• madamx's Profile Photo
    Apr 21, 2005 at 7:14 PM

Very nice page on Waterton, it's indeed a gem! The flora is something else, isn't it? When we were last there, we were lucky to see the bear grass blooming -- it only blooms every 3 years ~ Helen

• vtveen's Profile Photo
    Mar 2, 2005 at 3:31 AM

Hi, Nice picture of a black bear. We had the same experience in the Banff National Park (see travel page - picture made out of my car) Jaap

• nepalgoods's Profile Photo
    Oct 9, 2004 at 4:06 AM

Your pics and tips are very usefull and show how beautiful this area is.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Sep 23, 2004 at 11:25 AM

This is also a wonderful page ! Thanks for sharing ! I also like the less crowded ones much better, so Waterton will be an excellent choice if I visit NW America :-)

• sim1's Profile Photo
    Sep 9, 2004 at 4:44 AM

Beautiful page of this wonderful place! I really would love to go here, such a beautiful park! Next time Canada I'll try to visit Waterton Lakes for sure! Thanks for making me dream about that a little bit :-))

• ranwade's Profile Photo
    Aug 25, 2004 at 11:15 AM

I've really got to get out to Waterton Lakes one of these days. Thanks for posting your shots!

windsorgirl

“Enjoy the little things for one day you will look back and realize they were the big things.”

Badges & Stats in Waterton Lakes National Park

Have you been to Waterton Lakes National Park?