"There's no Place Like Home" Top 5 Page for this destination Windsor by windsorgirl
Windsor Travel Guide: 321 reviews and 984 photos
I live in Windsor, Ontario, Canada and although I admit that it is not the most picturesque part of Canada, it is my home and that of my friends and family. And, no matter where I've been travelling, I always look forward to coming home.
Windsor is situated in the midst of North America's Great Lakes, between Lake Erie and Lake Huron and directly SOUTH of Detroit, Michigan. Yes, south of the USA. This is the only part of Canada that does not lie north of "the States".
Many people visit Windsor's waterfront (including a group of VTers in June 2004) which has many kms of parkland and walking/cycling trails with great views of Detroit's skyline. The waterfront is also the place to watch North America's best fireworks display at the end of June.
Windsor is the Automotive Capital of Canada. Each of the big 3 auto makers have plants here as well as countless smaller factories that supply machinery or parts. Of the 200,000 people who reside in Windsor, over 30,000 work in the automotive industry. Windsor is the home of Lee Iaccoca's brainchild that saved Chrysler.....the minivan.
Windsor is also known for attracting a large number of American tourists to our Casino, Bingo Halls, Strip Clubs (unfortunately) and downtown bars. The drinking age in Ontario is 19 as opposed to Michigan's, 21, so most of the patrons in the clubs are young Americans and we are happy to have them here supporting our economy.
Apart from the busy downtown nightlife, you will still find quiet neighbourhoods with lovely homes and charming churches.
Jackson Park is a small city garden located at the busiest intersection in town, right at the corner of Tecumseh Road... more travel advice
A fun winter activity for the entire family is ice skating. In downtown Windsor, there is a free outdoor skating rink at... more travel advice
windsorgirl's Related Pages
Windsor Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "WINDSOR - MY HOME TOWN"
- "There's no Place Like Home"
- "Windsor and Essex County, Ontario"
- "Hiram Walker.'s Canadian Club Distillery."
- "Windsor Wonderland"
- "As south as you'll get in Canada"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Windsor
- Hotels in Windsor
- Transportation in Windsor
- Nightlife in Windsor
- Restaurants in Windsor
- Shopping in Windsor
- Warnings and Dangers in Windsor
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Windsor
- 26 Reviews
- 61 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 41 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (21)
Have you been to Windsor?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Windsor
Top 10 Pages
- Thornbury Intro, 22 reviews, 103 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Windsor Intro, 26 reviews, 61 photos, 4 travelogues
- Vietnam Intro, 33 reviews, 43 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Ontario Intro, 31 reviews, 34 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tobermory Intro, 26 reviews, 38 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Ignacio Intro, 15 reviews, 48 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Northern Territory Intro, 26 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Estado de Baja California Sur Intro, 15 reviews, 33 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arches National Park Intro, 20 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Baffin Island Intro, 10 reviews, 38 photos, 3 travelogues