"There's no Place Like Home" Top 5 Page for this destination Windsor by windsorgirl

Windsor Travel Guide: 321 reviews and 984 photos

The view from here.....

I live in Windsor, Ontario, Canada and although I admit that it is not the most picturesque part of Canada, it is my home and that of my friends and family. And, no matter where I've been travelling, I always look forward to coming home.

Windsor is situated in the midst of North America's Great Lakes, between Lake Erie and Lake Huron and directly SOUTH of Detroit, Michigan. Yes, south of the USA. This is the only part of Canada that does not lie north of "the States".

Many people visit Windsor's waterfront (including a group of VTers in June 2004) which has many kms of parkland and walking/cycling trails with great views of Detroit's skyline. The waterfront is also the place to watch North America's best fireworks display at the end of June.

Windsor is the Automotive Capital of Canada. Each of the big 3 auto makers have plants here as well as countless smaller factories that supply machinery or parts. Of the 200,000 people who reside in Windsor, over 30,000 work in the automotive industry. Windsor is the home of Lee Iaccoca's brainchild that saved Chrysler.....the minivan.

Windsor is also known for attracting a large number of American tourists to our Casino, Bingo Halls, Strip Clubs (unfortunately) and downtown bars. The drinking age in Ontario is 19 as opposed to Michigan's, 21, so most of the patrons in the clubs are young Americans and we are happy to have them here supporting our economy.

Apart from the busy downtown nightlife, you will still find quiet neighbourhoods with lovely homes and charming churches.

• Last visit to Windsor: Jul 2004
  • Intro Updated Apr 14, 2008

• Toshioohsako's Profile Photo
    Aug 10, 2008 at 6:51 AM

The top 5 pictures of Windsor are pretty. The first night view of sky scrappers are magnificent.

• BillNJ's Profile Photo
    May 3, 2008 at 10:38 AM

Fantastic tips and photos! I will have to visit Windsor someday. I especially like the tip on the outdoor ice skating rink -- it looks wonderful. Best from New Jersey, Bill

• mafootje's Profile Photo
    Jul 25, 2007 at 1:06 PM

I guess my next visit should include Canada also.

• etfromnc's Profile Photo
    May 1, 2007 at 1:49 PM

Great pics! To reach the Northwest Angle of MN, you must drive thru Canada. I think that means that there is at least one other small area of Canada which is south (or southwest) of the USA. If you ever head west, check it out. It is a very special place.

• Mar 23, 2007 at 9:39 AM

Hi Windsorgirl, Can i use your beautiful photo of sunken flower garden beds at Windsor to illustrate the differences in nature i am writing for my kids? Regards david P.S. My email address is egandav@gmail.com

• kevanrijn's Profile Photo
    Feb 11, 2007 at 8:28 AM

I love your garden pictures! Have you ever traveled up to Washington and British Columbia? They have some amazing gardens up there....

• jennwerner's Profile Photo
    Dec 19, 2006 at 12:00 PM

Nice Windsor page. Had to find something other to do besides the Casino for my next trip in January. Thanks , Jenn

• gilabrand's Profile Photo
    Dec 17, 2006 at 10:58 AM

We had a Windsor chair at home. Wonder if it was made here...

• sprdak11's Profile Photo
    Dec 11, 2006 at 8:41 AM

Interesting page about Windsor. Greetings.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Nov 14, 2006 at 12:47 PM

Great stories and pictures, thanx!

windsorgirl Lives Here!

windsorgirl

“Enjoy the little things for one day you will look back and realize they were the big things.”

Badges & Stats in Windsor

Have you been to Windsor?

Latest Activity in Windsor