"Fall Colours and Waterfalls at Zion NP" Top 5 Page for this destination Zion National Park by windsorgirl
Zion National Park Travel Guide: 576 reviews and 1,267 photos
Apparantly seeing waterfalls at Zion NP is a rare and lucky event. We visited Zion National Park after the area's worst storm in 20 years had lingered over southern Utah for the last 3 days. For such a dry region, you can imagine the effect that this rainfall had on Zion Canyon. The Virgin River was running very high and fast and countless waterfalls appeared throughout the park cascading over the colourful sandstone cliffs, for which Zion is famous.
We noticed many of these falls on our drive along the Zion/Mt. Carmel Highway in the eastern section of the park. On several hikes, we were able to get up close and even walk beneath the falls as pictured here, on the hike to the Emerald Pools. In the photo you can plainly see the two lower waterfalls, but if you look up to the right you will see a third waterfall emerging from the cliff face.
Zion Canyon was sculpted by the powerful Virgin River and it's canyon walls rise up 2000 ft in colours of red, orange, and yellow. These cliffs are amongst the highest in the world.
Last Stop on Our Tour of Southwestern USA
We spent the last two nights of our 16 day tour of Southwestern USA here before driving back to Vegas for our return flight home. We even made a daytrip to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon from here.
Zion National Park is one of the most popular parks in southern Utah. It is located only 158 miles from Las Vegas and 86 miles from Bryce Canyon NP. The cost of admission is $20/vehicle or you can purchase a National Park Pass which is good for a year and allows entrance to all of the country's National Parks.
Zion has a wonderful shuttle service that delivers you to the trailheads of all the excellent hikes in the park. Many of the hikes are paved and are very well maintained. Bring lots of film for this park is a photographer's dream.
You should plan to spend 2 nights in nearby Springdale so that you have at least one full day to explore the park.
It is a worthwhile detour to the north rim of the Grand Canyon from Zion, if you have not seen the Grand Canyon before.... more travel advice
I thought it was great that many of the hiking trails in Zion NP are at least partially paved, and two of them are... more travel advice
windsorgirl's Related Pages
Zion National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Basaic Zion National Park Page"
- "Getting High in Zion"
- "Zion National Park, One of My Favorites"
- "Fall Colours and Waterfalls at Zion NP"
- "Zion National Park"
- "Zion, such a wonderful place"
- "Zion National Park"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Zion National Park
- Hotels in Zion National Park
- Transportation in Zion National Park
- Nightlife in Zion National Park
- Restaurants in Zion National Park
- Shopping in Zion National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Zion National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Zion National Park
- 17 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (21)
Have you been to Zion National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Zion National Park
- Commented on one of goodfish's Zion National Park travel pages
- Wrote a Review The Grand Canyon, North Rim in Zion National Park Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Grand Canyon, North Rim"
- updated a Zion National Park Travelogue "Hike to Scout Lookout"
- Posted in Travel Vietnam Forum "Re: Tailors in Hanoi + Pho Quoc..."
Photos in Zion National ParkSee All Photos (28)
Top 10 Pages
- Thornbury Intro, 22 reviews, 103 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Windsor Intro, 26 reviews, 61 photos, 4 travelogues
- Vietnam Intro, 33 reviews, 43 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Ontario Intro, 31 reviews, 34 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tobermory Intro, 26 reviews, 38 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Ignacio Intro, 15 reviews, 48 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Northern Territory Intro, 26 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Estado de Baja California Sur Intro, 15 reviews, 33 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arches National Park Intro, 20 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Baffin Island Intro, 10 reviews, 38 photos, 3 travelogues