"Fall Colours and Waterfalls at Zion NP" Top 5 Page for this destination Zion National Park by windsorgirl

Zion National Park Travel Guide: 576 reviews and 1,267 photos

Apparantly seeing waterfalls at Zion NP is a rare and lucky event. We visited Zion National Park after the area's worst storm in 20 years had lingered over southern Utah for the last 3 days. For such a dry region, you can imagine the effect that this rainfall had on Zion Canyon. The Virgin River was running very high and fast and countless waterfalls appeared throughout the park cascading over the colourful sandstone cliffs, for which Zion is famous.

We noticed many of these falls on our drive along the Zion/Mt. Carmel Highway in the eastern section of the park. On several hikes, we were able to get up close and even walk beneath the falls as pictured here, on the hike to the Emerald Pools. In the photo you can plainly see the two lower waterfalls, but if you look up to the right you will see a third waterfall emerging from the cliff face.

Soaring Sandstone Cliffs

Zion Canyon was sculpted by the powerful Virgin River and it's canyon walls rise up 2000 ft in colours of red, orange, and yellow. These cliffs are amongst the highest in the world.

Last Stop on Our Tour of Southwestern USA

We spent the last two nights of our 16 day tour of Southwestern USA here before driving back to Vegas for our return flight home. We even made a daytrip to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon from here.

What You Need To Know

Zion National Park is one of the most popular parks in southern Utah. It is located only 158 miles from Las Vegas and 86 miles from Bryce Canyon NP. The cost of admission is $20/vehicle or you can purchase a National Park Pass which is good for a year and allows entrance to all of the country's National Parks.

Zion has a wonderful shuttle service that delivers you to the trailheads of all the excellent hikes in the park. Many of the hikes are paved and are very well maintained. Bring lots of film for this park is a photographer's dream.

You should plan to spend 2 nights in nearby Springdale so that you have at least one full day to explore the park.

• Last visit to Zion National Park: Oct 2004
  • Intro Updated Nov 25, 2004

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Mar 7, 2006 at 5:45 AM

Totally totally awesome Zion. It's been a while since Hans and I were there, so it looks like another visit is in order, especially with my newer photo equipment. Hehe!

• goodfish's Profile Photo
    Nov 1, 2005 at 9:56 AM

Great photos of one of my favorite places, Windsorgirl! Can't WAIT to go back to Zion!

• JetlagCity's Profile Photo
    Jan 13, 2005 at 10:01 AM

Really enjoyed your fantastic photos, I think I could come back here 100 times and still feel amazed at the beauty of the rocks and mountains!

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Dec 21, 2004 at 9:46 AM

I'm glad I came back to see these completed pages. Excellent! Makes me eager for our Arizona adventure which begins in two more days. Here's wishing you a very Merry Christmas!

• jamiesno's Profile Photo
    Dec 8, 2004 at 3:27 PM

For a lot of reasons Fall really is a great time of year hey? Beautiful time to be in a park obvioiusly according to these pictures. Cheers Kathy :-)

• Nov 29, 2004 at 5:12 AM

Beautiful!! We didn't have that much water on our Emerald Pools hike! Great page!!

• mtncorg's Profile Photo
    Nov 17, 2004 at 2:20 PM

Nice to be here with all of that water dropping instead of the little trickles you normally might see.

• goingsolo's Profile Photo
    Nov 4, 2004 at 3:18 PM

Great photos of Emerald Pools. Zion is a beautiful park. I can't wait to go back there this month.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Nov 4, 2004 at 2:45 PM

Wow, it must have been amazing with the full-flowing waterfalls and 2000-ft multicoloured cliffs as a back-drop!! These western extravaganzas are something to behold!

windsorgirl

“Enjoy the little things for one day you will look back and realize they were the big things.”

Badges & Stats in Zion National Park

Have you been to Zion National Park?