"3 Days in Moab" Moab by windsorgirl
Moab Travel Guide: 419 reviews and 1,117 photos
Moab was once a quiet Mormon settlement until a prospector discovered uranium deposits in 1952. Almost overnight, Moab became one of the wealthiest towns in America. When the uranium market declined in the 1970's, the town turned to tourism as its major industry. Visitors flocked to the nearby Arches and Canyonlands National Parks. This small town of 4700 provides food, lodging and tours to its many visitors.
Moab is located in southeast Utah, 235 miles southeast of Salt Lake City and 450 miles east of Las Vegas. Moab is nestled at the foot of the red cliffs and the La Sal Mountains at a 4000 foot elevation. For this reason, it enjoys unusually mild weather.
It is a popular tourist destination for outdoor enthusiasts. There are kayaking, canoeing and rafting opportunities on the nearby Colorado and Green Rivers. You can also enjoy a four wheel drive tour at Canyonlands NP or horseback riding in the La Sal mountains.
Thousands of mountain bikers make use of the famous Slickrock Bike Trail. And some, like me enjoy hiking and photography in the spectacular countryside surrounding Moab.
One could easily spend an entire week in Moab exploring the nearby attractions.
Moab was stop number six on our 16 day driving tour through southwestern USA. We began our trip in Las Vegas where we picked up a rental car and drove first through Arizona and then northeast to Moab. From Moab we headed southwest stopping at Bryce and Zion Canyons before returning to Vegas.
We spent our first day in Moab visiting Newspaper Rock and driving the scenic byway 128. Our entire second day was spent at Arches NP from sunrise to sunset and our third and final day was spent at Canyonlands and Dead Horse Point. I would happily return to Moab to see more of the sights.
Not only is this an inexpensive place to stay, but there is a shared kitchen on site which is completely equipped with... more travel advice
Just 2 miles north of Moab you will find the junction with Byway 128 to the northeast. We drove this winding road... more travel advice
windsorgirl's Related Pages
Moab Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Nucleus of Activity Close to Here"
- "Where adventure Begins"
- "Red Rock, Slick Rock, Arches and Canyons"
- "Off Road Mecca"
- "3 Days in Moab"
- "Moab, UT - Nature at Its Best!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Moab
- Hotels in Moab
- Transportation in Moab
- Nightlife in Moab
- Restaurants in Moab
- Shopping in Moab
- Warnings and Dangers in Moab
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Moab
- 9 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (23)
Have you been to Moab?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Moab
Photos in MoabSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Thornbury Intro, 22 reviews, 103 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Windsor Intro, 26 reviews, 61 photos, 4 travelogues
- Vietnam Intro, 33 reviews, 43 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Ontario Intro, 31 reviews, 34 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tobermory Intro, 26 reviews, 38 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Ignacio Intro, 15 reviews, 48 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Northern Territory Intro, 26 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Estado de Baja California Sur Intro, 15 reviews, 33 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arches National Park Intro, 20 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Baffin Island Intro, 10 reviews, 38 photos, 3 travelogues