"Canyonlands, Island in the Sky District" Top 5 Page for this destination Canyonlands National Park by windsorgirl
Canyonlands National Park Travel Guide: 203 reviews and 477 photos
Canyonlands National Park is divided by the Green and Colorado Rivers into three districts. They are called The Maze, The Needles and Island in the Sky. We visited Island in the Sky as it is located very close to Moab.
Island in the Sky is the northernmost district and is a huge level mesa towering 1000 feet above the sculpted canyons and twisting rivers below. It really does feel as if you are on an island, except that you are not surrounded by water, but by the beautiful landscapes instead.
The Island in the Sky district is located in southeastern Utah, 36 miles west of Moab. Take hwy 191 north to hwy 313 west. En route you will pass Dead Horse Point State Park. It is easy to combine a visit to both these parks in the same day.
Canyonlands NP is open year round and admission is $10 per vehicle for one week or you can use your National Parks Pass which is good at all National Parks, costs $50 and is good for a year.
There is a Visitors Center, campground and hiking trails here. There are also many miles of road to be explored if you have a 4 wheel drive vehicle or join a tour that you can arrange in Moab.
This National Park was stop number eight on our 16 day driving tour through southwestern USA. We began our trip in Las Vegas where we picked up a rental and headed southeast through Arizona then headed north up to Moab. We spent 3 days in Moab, including a half day here at Canyonlands enjoying some easy hikes and splendid views.
After Moab, we headed southwest to Bryce and Zion Canyons before returning to Vegas for our flight home.
There are over 100 miles of back country roads in the Island of the Sky district of Canyonlands National Park, however... more travel advice
There is no hiking necessary to enjoy this viewpoint. It is located on the west side of the mesa, opposite to the White... more travel advice
windsorgirl's Related Pages
Canyonlands National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Land of the Canyons"
- "Kimberlyann's Canyonlands National Park, Utah"
- "Basaic Canyonlands National Park Page"
- "Large Park Spread Over Miles"
- "Canyonlands, Island in the Sky District"
- "The Watermelon Settlement: Canyonlands"
- "Canyonlands - Remote, Tough, and Beautiful"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Canyonlands National Park
- Hotels in Canyonlands National Park
- Transportation in Canyonlands National Park
- Restaurants in Canyonlands National Park
- Shopping in Canyonlands National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Canyonlands National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Canyonlands National Park
- 10 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (21)
Have you been to Canyonlands National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Canyonlands National Park
- updated a Canyonlands National Park Travel Page "Canyonlands, Island in the Sky District"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Canyonlands, Island in the Sky District"
- Wrote a Review Driving on the Back Country Roads in Canyonlands National Park Things to Do
- Commented on one of bellagio's Canyonlands National Park travel pages
- Posted in Travel Vietnam Forum "Re: Tailors in Hanoi + Pho Quoc..."
Photos in Canyonlands National ParkSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Thornbury Intro, 22 reviews, 103 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Windsor Intro, 26 reviews, 61 photos, 4 travelogues
- Vietnam Intro, 33 reviews, 43 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Ontario Intro, 31 reviews, 34 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tobermory Intro, 26 reviews, 38 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Ignacio Intro, 15 reviews, 48 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Northern Territory Intro, 26 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Estado de Baja California Sur Intro, 15 reviews, 33 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arches National Park Intro, 20 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Baffin Island Intro, 10 reviews, 38 photos, 3 travelogues