"Discovering Victoria's Secrets" Top 5 Page for this destination State of Victoria by windsorgirl
State of Victoria Travel Guide: 6,465 reviews and 16,321 photos
I am lucky to have a friend who lives in Melbourne, the capital of Victoria, and so I have visited this state twice. Once in 1990 and again in 2001.
During both of my visits I travelled to Wilson's Promontory National Park for some great hiking. I think Wilson's Prom is Victoria's best kept secret and was my favourite destination. This photo was taken atop Mt. Oberron in Dec 1990, as you can see it was very windy....and cool for summer!
I met my Victorian friend while backpacking through Europe on my first solo adventure in 1987. We still keep in touch to this day, and I have visited her twice in Oz, she has come once to Canada and we have met up in Nepal for a holiday there together in 1995.
I spent a few weeks each visit with my friend in Melbourne. In 1990 she was living very close to downtown so I was able to walk to most of the city sights. In 2001, we stayed in Fairfield and I became adept at riding the trains with my bike and exploring the many great bike trails and beaches around Melbourne, including my favourite....Brighton Beach, pictured here.
Apart from Melbourne and the Great Ocean Road, I knew little about Victoria. However, when you stay with a local, they introduce you to some wonderful "secret" locations that an overseas traveller might not make it to.
This photo was taken near Sorrento on the Mornington Peninsula, it is a wonderful spot for summer holidays and is nearby to Phillip Island.
- Pros:Wilson's Prom and the Great Ocean Road
- Cons:summer weather can be cool and wet!
Coming from Canada, we don't see many surfers about. There are many good "surf" beaches to visit in southern Victoria,... more travel advice
This world class zoo exhibits animals in their recreated native habitats. It is Australia's oldest zoo, opened in 1862.... more travel advice
Written Sep 17, 2003
Ballarat Botanical Gardens
Written Jan 8, 2005
my emails home
windsorgirl's Related Pages
State of Victoria Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Second State, Home State while in Australia!"
- "Sweetberry's Victoria Page"
- "Discovering Victoria's Secrets"
- "The Mighty "Murray River""
- "Ballarat Botanical Gardens"
- See All...
- Things to Do in State of Victoria
- Hotels in State of Victoria
- Transportation in State of Victoria
- Nightlife in State of Victoria
- Restaurants in State of Victoria
- Shopping in State of Victoria
- Warnings and Dangers in State of Victoria
- See All...
Badges & Stats in State of Victoria
- 15 Reviews
- 26 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (23)
Have you been to State of Victoria?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in State of Victoria
- created a State of Victoria Travelogue "my emails home"
- Posted in Travel Vietnam Forum "Re: Tailors in Hanoi + Pho Quoc..."
- Commented on one of keeweechic's State of Victoria travel pages
- Wrote a Review Everybody's doing it! in State of Victoria Sports & Outdoors
- Uploaded a Photo to "Everybody's doing it!"
Photos in State of VictoriaSee All Photos (26)
Top 10 Pages
- Thornbury Intro, 22 reviews, 103 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Windsor Intro, 26 reviews, 61 photos, 4 travelogues
- Vietnam Intro, 33 reviews, 43 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Ontario Intro, 31 reviews, 34 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tobermory Intro, 26 reviews, 38 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Ignacio Intro, 15 reviews, 48 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Northern Territory Intro, 26 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Estado de Baja California Sur Intro, 15 reviews, 33 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arches National Park Intro, 20 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Baffin Island Intro, 10 reviews, 38 photos, 3 travelogues