"An Oasis at the Bottom of the Grand Canyon" Supai by windsorgirl

Supai Travel Guide: 32 reviews and 58 photos

Third Stop on our Tour of Southwestern USA

Supai is a small village occupied by the Havasupai Indians. Havasupai translates to "People of the blue-green water" and one look at my photo will convince you that it is an appropriate name.

There are several beautiful waterfalls near the village but only few tourists make the effort to visit this corner of the Grand Canyon.

This was our third destination on our tour of the American Southwest. We flew into Las Vegas and spent our first two nights there before driving off in our rental, heading east to Arizona. We decided to spend the night at Peach Springs on the historic Route 66, since it was the closest accomodations to our departure point for Supai.

The only way to get to Supai is by a very expensive helicopter ride, or a very uncomfortable mule ride, or by walking the 8 miles from top of the Grand Canyon to the village. We chose the latter.

So after a relaxing soak in the hotel's hot tub and a good night's sleep, we set off from Peach Springs before dawn. We drove 8 miles east on Route 66 to Route 18. We followed this road north for 68 miles before reaching Hualapai Hilltop where you will find a parking area for those visiting Supai.

After parking the car, we set off for Supai just shortly after sunrise. We made it down in 4 hrs and after checking into our lodge, we hiked another 2 miles to Havasu Falls, and then one more mile to Mooney Falls. We also stopped in at Navajo Falls, but found it very overgrown with trees and difficult to get a good look at.

The next morning we were back on the trail before sunrise in order to make it back up the canyon before the heat of the day. It took us 4.5 hours to make it back up to our car. All in all, it was not too difficult a hike and we enjoyed fantastic views from the top, and felt dwarfed by the soaring orange cliffs while hiking along the bottom. If you enjoy hiking and love waterfalls, I would definitely recommend a visit to Supai.

• Last visit to Supai: Oct 2004
  • Intro Updated Nov 19, 2004

• UsaKissa's Profile Photo
    Jul 30, 2008 at 9:24 AM

Can you take a hike in and a helicopter back without the pre-booking the camp/lodge?We wanna do one day trip. If You were riding a helicopter out, was there some kind of a check-in restricted only for registered visitors?Or you just pay the pilot and go?

• trav4bus's Profile Photo
    Jan 14, 2008 at 6:38 AM

bravo gal

• KiKitC's Profile Photo
    May 28, 2007 at 5:36 AM

I will be sure to add Supai when we venture out west! Thank you for the great tips. Unfortunately, my camping gear's getting to heavy to lug down there!

• hapybrian's Profile Photo
    Jul 7, 2006 at 11:24 PM

I would love to go here again; backpacking down into Havasupai was a wonderful experience. Swimming *behind* the falls is exhilerating and must be tried!

• RickinDutch's Profile Photo
    Feb 2, 2006 at 4:20 PM

Did this hike in Aug of 73. Great camping spot and the water was wonderful. You didn't mention all the mule droppings on the trail - did they fix that?

• Gerrem's Profile Photo
    Jun 27, 2005 at 5:09 AM

Great picture of Mooney Falls! Regards, Michael

• leffe3's Profile Photo
    Jun 20, 2005 at 12:54 AM

This looks an amazing experience and stunning place to visit.

• goingsolo's Profile Photo
    Apr 10, 2005 at 10:02 AM

Great page. Loved your photos and descriptions. Always wanted to visit Supai. Maybe I'll get to do another SW trip. Definitely visit Sedona if you have the chance. It's beautiful. :)

• kazander's Profile Photo
    Mar 17, 2005 at 2:14 PM

Fantastic page. You have definately convinced me to add this to the list of places I want to visit! It looks gorgeous! Saw one of the tips on the HP it drew me in! Thanks! :)

• sim1's Profile Photo
    Mar 9, 2005 at 12:40 PM

Excellent page! I love your description of hike and the beautiful photos! I wish I had gone here, it absolutely sounds worth while!

windsorgirl

“Enjoy the little things for one day you will look back and realize they were the big things.”

Badges & Stats in Supai