"3 Weeks in Baja Sur" Top 5 Page for this destination Estado de Baja California Sur by windsorgirl

Estado de Baja California Sur Travel Guide: 1,290 reviews and 2,729 photos

Baja, Mexico is a narrow peninsula of land that extends 1059 miles south from San Diego, California. On the west coast you will find the cooler, rougher waters of the Pacific Ocean (great for surfers). On the east side you will find the warmer, calmer waters of the Sea of Cortez. The northern point of entry is Tijuana. At the very southern tip of the Baja Peninsula is time share heaven in trendy Cabo San Lucas, a popular and expensive party destination. In between, you will find quiet, less expensive and more "mexican" towns with beautiful beaches and desert landscapes. The peninsula is divided into norte and sur. My time was spent in Southern Baja (Baja Sur).

I had wanted to visit Baja for many years after seeing a tv program about kayak/camping trips in the area. After gaining some kayaking experience this past summer in Georgian Bay, I decided that I was finally ready for this trip. Our kayak trip was 8 days departing from Loreto, see my travelogues for all the details. After the kayaking, we rented a car and explored the coastline north of Loreto to Mulege one day, then drove west to Magdalena Bay for a day of whale watching.

We saw dozens of whales in the secluded bay, this was definitely the highlight of my trip to Baja. I strongly suggest you plan your trip in February to see this awesome sight too.

My travelling companion headed home then but I continued on to La Paz and Todos Santos by bus, making a daytrip to the very touristy Cabo San Lucas from Todos Santos.

While in Baja, I really enjoyed the desert landscape with it's red rock formations and many many cactii.

• In a nutshell:In Mexico, anything is possible, but nothing is for certain!
  • Last visit to Estado de Baja California Sur: Feb 2004
  • Intro Updated Dec 26, 2004

• ViajesdelMundo's Profile Photo
    Sep 15, 2009 at 12:21 PM

Looks like a FAB time in BCS! unfortunately, Mulege and Santa Rosalia right now are suffering badly fr the recent hurricane Jimena. If you wish to return, let me know; and I can show you some dif sides.

• PALLINA's Profile Photo
    Mar 11, 2008 at 4:16 AM

great tips about Baja California Sur! thanks for sharing

• Hermanater's Profile Photo
    Jan 10, 2006 at 11:15 AM

Hi Windsorgirl.....great pages on Estado de Baja California Sur....

• jamiesno's Profile Photo
    Dec 9, 2004 at 2:39 PM

Planning your trip to coincide with the migration of whales!!! You are a very good planner, hehehe. And more more cheap boat rides!!! I love whales tails, your pics are great. I really have to email you some of Battle Harbour, Labrador. You'll be amazed.

• JetlagCity's Profile Photo
    Nov 24, 2004 at 1:37 PM

What a fantastic trip, seeing the whales up close like that! I'd always heard sea lions were aggressive, but obviously that must not have been your experience if you snorkelled with them?

• Sandi-2004's Profile Photo
    Oct 25, 2004 at 8:48 PM

Good comments and excellent photos. Thanks for the thorough info on Baja.

• mtncorg's Profile Photo
    Sep 20, 2004 at 10:57 AM

Very nice tips and pictures from Baja Sur! A grand place to kayak and your explorations demonstrate a strong independent spirit capable of the occasional mayday;-]

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Sep 11, 2004 at 7:32 AM

WOW! What a fantastic set of pages. Whales, sea lions, birds, glassy seas, a sinking boat and an adventure to remember. I've always wanted to visit Baja - and now even more so than ever.

• alloquisha's Profile Photo
    Aug 12, 2004 at 8:22 AM

I've been looking around for some good information on Baja - and found it on your page! Great photos and descriptions, the kayaking trip looks awesome. Thanks!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Apr 1, 2004 at 9:27 PM

What an excellent account of your trip! Great information and photos of your Baja experience! This is also the first time that I have seen Osprey nests on the ground!

windsorgirl

“Enjoy the little things for one day you will look back and realize they were the big things.”

Badges & Stats in Estado de Baja California Sur

Have you been to Estado de Baja California Sur?