"5 Days In Belize's Jungle" Top 5 Page for this destination San Ignacio by windsorgirl
San Ignacio Travel Guide: 173 reviews and 419 photos
I really enjoyed my time in San Ignacio, it was the first part of my 2 week holiday in Belize. SI a great base from which to explore Mayan ruins both in Belize and across the border in Guatemala. You can also visit a Botanical Garden, Butterfly Sanctuary, swim or canoe in the Macal River, do some serious birdwatching and take daytrips to nearby caves or waterfalls. Time spent in the jungles of Belize is a great compliment to your time on Belize's beaches and reef. Try to do both when you come to Belize!
San Ignacio is a small city of 15,000 located in the Cayo district of Belize. When you catch a bus from Belize City it will say Cayo in the window. It is a 2.5 hr bus ride from Belize City and will cost $3.50 US. You will enter town on the single lane Low Water Bridge and exit town on the also single lane Hawkesworth Bridge. Most roads in SI are very narrow and one way. You can easily access everything in town by foot.
Once you arrive in San Ignacio, head straight to Eva's Restaurant on Burn's Avenue. This hangout serves as a tourist information center. The owner, Bob, can help you arrange any type of excursion that you may be interested in.
I loved the jungle atomosphere around San Ignacio. You can choose to stay in one of the many jungle lodges and be in the midst of the lush vegetation and birdlife.
Or, if you choose to stay in town, you can still visit several of the jungle lodges like Cha Creek or DuPlooys either by canoe or taxi, or take a bus to The Trek Stop. You are welcome to enjoy the gardens and swim in the river. You can also grab a drink or a bite to eat at their restaurant. It makes for a great day.
Another great day trip from San Ignacio is a visit to the Belize Zoo. You can do this without a tour, simply by catching... more travel advice
San Ignacio is quite tourist oriented and therefore has many restaurants to choose from, all are very reasonably priced.... more travel advice
windsorgirl's Related Pages
San Ignacio Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "San Ignacio - Temples, Caves & Tubing"
- "5 Days In Belize's Jungle"
- "The Lodge at Chaa Creek"
- "San Ignacio, Belize: Home Base For Adventure"
- "San Ignacio - a one stoplight town"
- "Bridge and Stoplight"
- "On horses through the Jungle"
- See All...
- Things to Do in San Ignacio
- Hotels in San Ignacio
- Transportation in San Ignacio
- Nightlife in San Ignacio
- Restaurants in San Ignacio
- Shopping in San Ignacio
- Warnings and Dangers in San Ignacio
- See All...
Badges & Stats in San Ignacio
- 15 Reviews
- 46 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to San Ignacio?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in San Ignacio
Photos in San IgnacioSee All Photos (46)
Top 10 Pages
- Thornbury Intro, 22 reviews, 103 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Windsor Intro, 26 reviews, 61 photos, 4 travelogues
- Vietnam Intro, 33 reviews, 43 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Ontario Intro, 31 reviews, 34 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tobermory Intro, 26 reviews, 38 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Ignacio Intro, 15 reviews, 48 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Northern Territory Intro, 26 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Estado de Baja California Sur Intro, 15 reviews, 33 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arches National Park Intro, 20 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Baffin Island Intro, 10 reviews, 38 photos, 3 travelogues