Assateague Island Things to Do Tips by tpangelinan
Assateague Island Things to Do: 7 reviews and 21 photos
So many nature trails for every one. In this tidal marsh they found several native american mss burrial ground. Many other interesting facts like this to be found. This is a tidal bay, so the salt water rises and receeds to this marsh which make for a very diverse wildlife community. Before you go on your hike we higly suggest putting on bug sray or be eaten alive, these mosquitoes have wingspans and a nasty bite! They are all over this island!
Directions: Go over the bridge from Chincoteague Island into the park entrance, fee is $5.00 a car
Assateague Island lIghthouse
This lighthouse was built in 1833 at 142 fett tall, first lit in January 1833, the tower was to low and poorly illuminated to perform effectivelyits job of warning ships of the shoals that protrude out from the coast. In 1852 the Lighthouse Board made the duty of the government to increase the power and range of the lighthouse without delay. In 1859 Congress apropriated the fund and work began the next year. Contruction ceased due to the Civil War and in 1865 work resumed. October 1 1867 the light from the new lens could be seen for up to nineteen miles. This lighthouse is only open a few times a year for tours
More Reviews (8)
tpangelinan's Related Pages
Assateague Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Beautiful National Seashores"
- "Assateague Island"
- "One of Two with Wild Horses"
- "The subject of many book reports and fantasies."
- "Wild Horses....."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Assateague Island
- Nightlife in Assateague Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Assateague Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Assateague Island
- 10 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (68)
Have you been to Assateague Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Assateague Island
Photos in Assateague IslandSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 65 reviews, 69 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 55 reviews, 59 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Charleston Intro, 32 reviews, 74 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Delaware Intro, 40 reviews, 52 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Myers Beach Intro, 38 reviews, 52 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rehoboth Beach Intro, 45 reviews, 44 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lucaya Intro, 17 reviews, 66 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Virginia Beach Intro, 40 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Florida Intro, 34 reviews, 35 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wilmington Intro, 29 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue