Charleston Things to Do Tips by tpangelinan Top 5 Page for this destination
Charleston Things to Do: 304 reviews and 657 photos
Take a Carriage Ride
Try taking a horse drawn carriage tour for some great history lessons. All day long we saw these carriages around town, you can take a group tour or personal carriage tour for 2, rather romantic. There are a few companies that give the tours, here are 4
Charleston Carriage Company 14 Hayne Street PH (843) 577-0042,
Carolina Polo & Carriage Company 45 Pinckney Street PH (843) 577-6767,
Old South Carriage Company 2 Anson Street, #A, PH (843) 723-9712,
Palmetto Carriage Works 40 North Market Street PH (843) 723-8145
Charleston has many beautiful parks to explore, this is Waterfront Park near the French Quarter. This is nice clear park with lots of benches, fountains a pier and green grass along the waterfront. 1 fountain the kids can play in and the other is for looking. Lots of shade and benches to eat your lunch, hang out and watch the boats go by. Lots of do's and don't's on the sign as you enter the park so you may want to read them.
The Old Charleston Lighthouse
Don't you just love a good lighthouse hunt because I do! The Charleston Lighthouse on Morris Island was built 1767 which in fact was 1 of only 2 lighthouses to be found south of the Delware Bay after ther Revolution, the other being Tybee Lighthouse. The lighthouse was destroyed in the Civil War and work began to rebuilt around 1874 and it was relit October 1 1876 with a first order lens. The island over time eroded away from under the base due to storms, earthquakes and hurricanes it still stands but the island is long gone and sits out in the ocean about a 1/4 mile. It was replaced by the one on Sullivan's Island in 1962. If you look really close to the photo you can see just to the left of the lighthouse is the New Charleston Lighthouse on Sullivan's Island.The Old Charleston Lighthouse is only 15 to 20 minutes the other way down Route 17 South to Folly Beach just off of James Island Take the Folly beach road and turn left and go all the way to the end at the Holiday Inn turn left and go all the way to the end, park and walk about 1/4 mile out to the beach and you will find the Old Charleston Lighthouse which sits out in the ocean about a 1/4 mile. Bring you camera and tripod and lots of batteries.
The New Charleston Lighthouse From the beach
If you like lighthouse like I do go check out the New Charleston Lighthouse on Sullivan's Island, it takes about 15 to 20 minutes from Charleston, just go up Route 17 North to the other side of the bridge and you only about 10 minutes away. This is the only one of it's kind in the USA. It was built in 1962 and will most likely be the last traditional lighthouse built in th United States. It stands 162 feet tall and is the only lighthouse that has an elevator and has been fitted with a the most powerful 28 million candlepower lens in the Western Hemisphere and can be seen up to 26 miles out to sea. This has got to be the strangest looking lighthouse I have come across, it looks kind of like an airport control tower. The lighthouse on Sullivan's Island was built to replace the Old Charleston Lighthouse that is no longer in service, the island that it stands on has completely eroded away from the foundation and now stands about 1/4 mile out to sea.
More Reviews (28)
- See All Good Irish Restaurant
- See All Check out the Visitors Center
- See All Charleston International Airport
- See All The Open Air Market in Charleston SC
- See All Wal-Mart Yeh!
tpangelinan's Related Pages
Charleston Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Charleston, SC"
- "Welcome to Charleston SC"
- "charleston, south carolina"
- "The Definitive Guide to Charleston, SC"
- "Queen of the South"
- "The City of Southern Charm, Charleston"
- "Lovely Charleston"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Charleston
- Hotels in Charleston
- Transportation in Charleston
- Nightlife in Charleston
- Restaurants in Charleston
- Shopping in Charleston
- Warnings and Dangers in Charleston
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Charleston
- 32 Reviews
- 73 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (51)
Have you been to Charleston?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Charleston
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "What were top 5 pages a week ago,..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Welcome to Charleston SC"
- updated a Charleston Travel Page "Welcome to Charleston SC"
- Wrote a Review Good Irish Restaurant about Tommy Condon's in Charleston Restaurants
- Commented on one of MandaJ320's Charleston travel pages
Photos in CharlestonSee All Photos (73)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 65 reviews, 69 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 55 reviews, 59 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Charleston Intro, 32 reviews, 74 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Delaware Intro, 40 reviews, 52 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Myers Beach Intro, 38 reviews, 52 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rehoboth Beach Intro, 45 reviews, 44 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lucaya Intro, 17 reviews, 66 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Virginia Beach Intro, 40 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Florida Intro, 34 reviews, 35 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wilmington Intro, 29 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (52)
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (5)
- Battery Park- 26 Reviews, 58 Photos
- Market- 12 Reviews, 22 Photos
- Fort Sumter- 18 Reviews, 53 Photos
- Magnolia Plantation and Gardens- 13 Reviews, 28 Photos
- Middleton Place Plantation- 11 Reviews, 31 Photos
- South Carolina Aquarium- 10 Reviews, 23 Photos
- Waterfront Park- 10 Reviews, 25 Photos
- Museum- 8 Reviews, 17 Photos
- Architecture- 13 Reviews, 42 Photos
- Old Exchange and Provost Dungeon- 5 Reviews, 12 Photos
See All Charleston Things to Do