"Welcome to Pea Island a bird lovers dream." Pea Island by tpangelinan
Pea Island Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 19 photos
Located on Hatteras Island, PEA ISLAND NATIONAL WILDLIFE REFUGE is a bird lovers dream come true. With more than 265 species of birds you better bring ALL your camera stuff and lots of batteries! The island got it's name from the wild pea vine whine groves every where. The refuge takes up around 25,500 acres of boundary water in the Pamlico Sound, and about 6000 acres of land. The refuge takes up the norht end of Hatteras Island at Oregon Inlet down to Rodanthe, the 1st of serveral beach towns on your trip down Highway 12 to Hatteras Village at the end of Hatteras Island. This is a wonderful sanctuary for hundred of migratory birds and othe creatures. You can visit them for more inforamtion at
This Refuge gets over 2.5 million visitors each year. The refuge is comprised of beach for the shorebirds & loggerhead sea turtles breeding ground and salt marsh, ponds, dunes and much more with almost 400 species of birds an critters, mammals, reptiles and amphibians.
- Pros:LOTS of bird and other critter watching
- Cons:No restaurants or any thing!
- In a nutshell:Go for the BIRD WATCHING!
4X4's are not permitted on Pea Island beaches. This is a National Wildlife Refuge so please follow the rules and only... more travel advice
There are several parking lots along Route 12 the are safe to park in, and go bird hunting or what ever you may be... more travel advice
tpangelinan's Related Pages
Pea Island Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Pea Island
- 10 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (68)
Have you been to Pea Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pea Island
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "What were top 5 pages a week ago,..."
- Wrote a Review 4X4 Beach access is not permitted on Pea Island in Pea Island Warnings and Dangers
- Uploaded a Photo to "4X4 Beach access is not permitted on Pea Island"
- created a Pea Island Travel Page "Welcome to Pea Island a bird lovers dream."
Photos in Pea IslandSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 65 reviews, 69 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 55 reviews, 59 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Charleston Intro, 32 reviews, 74 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Delaware Intro, 40 reviews, 52 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Myers Beach Intro, 38 reviews, 52 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rehoboth Beach Intro, 45 reviews, 44 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lucaya Intro, 17 reviews, 66 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Virginia Beach Intro, 40 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Florida Intro, 34 reviews, 35 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wilmington Intro, 29 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue