Ocracoke Things to Do Tips by tpangelinan Top 5 Page for this destination
Ocracoke Things to Do: 35 reviews and 49 photos
Silver Lake Harbor
Drive to the end of route 12 into the litlle village around Silver Lake Harbor. This great little fishing village is so cool, it's like stepping back in time. Filled with many small shops of all types like local artist and seafood restaurants and plenty of gift shops.
I just love taking pictures of the dunes in the Outer Banks, Ocracoke is no exception! All the dunes are protected by the National Park Services, so take care were you step. This shot is at the north end of Ocracoke Island looking toward the south end of Hatteras Island.
There are only about 2 dozen horses left which have been corralled in a 180 acre spot about 7 mile north of Ocracoke Village. These horses are descendants of the horses used by the Coast Guard to patrol the beaches and by tone of he only mounted Boy Scout troups in America. In 1958 they were put in this area to protect them from passing cars on the newly built route 12.
This lighthouse is the 2nd, the 1st was built and finished in 1803 by Dearborn who also built the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse at the same time. The 1st was struck by lightning in August 1818 which destroyed the tower & the keepers house. The new lighthouse that you see today was relocated to the banks near Silver Lake Harbor and completed in 1823. This lighthouse is one of the oldest in the Outer Banks of North Carolina and one of the oldest still active on the South Atlantic Coast. The tower is closed to the public but the ground are open.
More Reviews (8)
tpangelinan's Related Pages
Ocracoke Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ocracoke Island"
- "A place to unwind"
- "Welcome to Ocracoke Island"
- "Ferry In - Ferry Out"
- "FreeCloud's new Ocracoke Page"
- "Mandi_Lu's Ocracoke Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ocracoke
- Hotels in Ocracoke
- Transportation in Ocracoke
- Nightlife in Ocracoke
- Restaurants in Ocracoke
- Shopping in Ocracoke
- Warnings and Dangers in Ocracoke
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ocracoke
- 12 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (69)
Have you been to Ocracoke?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ocracoke
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "What were top 5 pages a week ago,..."
- Commented on one of littlesam1's Ocracoke travel pages
- Wrote a Review Parasail sounds like a good time! in Ocracoke Sports & Outdoors
- Uploaded a Photo to "4X4 access to the beach"
- updated a Ocracoke Travel Page "Welcome to Ocracoke Island"
Photos in OcracokeSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 65 reviews, 69 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 55 reviews, 59 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Charleston Intro, 32 reviews, 74 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Delaware Intro, 40 reviews, 52 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Myers Beach Intro, 38 reviews, 52 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rehoboth Beach Intro, 45 reviews, 44 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lucaya Intro, 17 reviews, 66 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Virginia Beach Intro, 40 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Florida Intro, 34 reviews, 35 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wilmington Intro, 29 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue