"Welcome to Helen, GA or Alpine Helen as some say." Helen by tpangelinan
Helen Travel Guide: 180 reviews and 429 photos
Welcome to Helen Georgia, this is a small Bavaria village town in the Blue Ridge Mountains. It wasn't always this Alpine village, the town has a long history back prior to 1800 the Cherokee Indian ruled this land. What is now hwy 17 & 75 was an old wagon trail that he Cherokee Indian approved to be constructed 1813 which ran from Savanah to Tennessee. Soon gold was discovered in 1828 and the Great Georgia Gold Rush was on in this area and the Cherokee Indian moved on. Gold mining was taking over the area all the way to Dehlonega, GA but by the end of the century all miners had left. Next came the lumber companies and railroads up the Chattahoochee River to Helen, the valley was named after the railroad survayors daughter in 1913. Lumber opperations ran until 1931, shut down and again the people left for opportunities eslewhere. By 1960 all that was left was a small town with one story concrete building that looked like every other mill town. In 1968 the town got together to see what they could do to improve the town to bring in more tourist and to boost the economy. They asked an artist friend for some help, he had been stationed in Germany and sketched out the buildings with gingerbread, more color and changing the faces of all building and recreate a old Bavaria village. In 1969 construction began, giving the whole town a facelift creating what you see now. If you like Octoberfest, well, here it goes on all year.
- Pros:Great wine tasting rooms, good shopping, waterfalls near by
- Cons:Too much drinking, bikers, too many people on weekend, traffice
- In a nutshell:A neat little town and lots of this to do near by and in town.
Hansel & Gretel Candy Kitchen hand a large variety of candy, fudge and much more. You will not leave this store without... more travel advice
Now this sounds like fun! There are several places to go and get guided tours to pan for gold in the river, or you can... more travel advice
tpangelinan's Related Pages
Helen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Alpine Theme Far from Europe"
- "helen, georgia"
- "A town reinvents itself"
- "Willkommen to Helen"
- "Helen Georgia"
- "Georgia Alpine Village"
- "Welcome to Helen, GA or Alpine Helen as some say."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Helen
- Hotels in Helen
- Transportation in Helen
- Nightlife in Helen
- Restaurants in Helen
- Shopping in Helen
- Warnings and Dangers in Helen
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Helen
- 18 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (68)
Have you been to Helen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Helen
Photos in HelenSee All Photos (24)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 65 reviews, 69 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 55 reviews, 59 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Charleston Intro, 32 reviews, 74 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Delaware Intro, 40 reviews, 52 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Myers Beach Intro, 38 reviews, 52 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rehoboth Beach Intro, 45 reviews, 44 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lucaya Intro, 17 reviews, 66 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Virginia Beach Intro, 40 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Florida Intro, 34 reviews, 35 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wilmington Intro, 29 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue