"Shhhh, don't tell anyone!" Top 5 Page for this destination Sanibel Island by tpangelinan

Sanibel Island Travel Guide: 199 reviews and 382 photos

When you find paradise, shut up and enjoy it!

I honestly didn't even want to do this page. I have been around the world, Guam, Hawaii, Mexico, all 50 states in fact, Canada at least 3 times, and even to Key West and Jamaica, and I have never fallen in love with a place like I did here. It is totally behind the times 50 years, and ahead of the times 50 years, an anomaly of sorts. One third is a wild life refuge. It is a beautiful place!

Boardwalk to beach

This is most typical an entrance to a Sanibel beach. Parking is $2.00 per hour, so staying on island, and walking or biking to the beach is the best bet. One day wouldn't kill you, but if you had to pay $16.00 per 8 hour day each day to park, for a week, this is a considerable expenditure.

Water is perfect!

Shelling, swimming, sunning, boating, water sports, fishing. The Gulf has a life and life-style all it's own. If you have only sought oceans, try the Gulf just once! It is my personal opinion that for family's, especially with small children and/or seniors, the swimming is unmatched. I saw no hostile water-life (jelly fish), and there are almost no waves. Also the depth is quite nice, at low tide you can walk so far out is is amazing.

• Pros:Beaches, family atmosphere, quiet and lovely.
  • Cons:Drawbridge only entrance/exit, can be CLOSED.
  • In a nutshell:I will return, if not to visit, then to live!!
  • Last visit to Sanibel Island: May 2003
  • Intro Updated Oct 18, 2003

• Jan 31, 2010 at 12:49 PM

Rosie's is great. You can buy steaks and other items to cook at home, and the folks are always friendly. Nice little deli selection, great coffee.

• May 31, 2008 at 6:54 PM

The bridge has been replace. No longer a draw bridge - now a high span to accomodate sailboats so the bridge does not close down. The on-island toll has jumped to $6/car. No toll leaving the island.

• Waalewiener's Profile Photo
    Oct 20, 2005 at 9:38 PM

Wow very nice page good food Hot tubs Nice restaurants .nice Hotels ,Seashells and lots more . In this place you just can't go wrong Very very nice

• nepalgoods's Profile Photo
    Jul 26, 2005 at 9:57 AM

Nice place!

• garridogal's Profile Photo
    Apr 5, 2005 at 6:30 PM

Thanks for checking out my Ft. Lauderdale page. I love the cottage(s) on this page. I could SO see myself in one of them!

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Mar 16, 2005 at 5:17 AM

Thanks for stopping by my Cancun. I loved the Sunsets of the world. Awesome restaurant tips. I also like collecting seashells as I use them for my photo frames. Great pages.

• wcph's Profile Photo
    Feb 25, 2005 at 9:34 PM

Thanks for the kind comments on my New Caledonia page. The sunset photo is gorgeous, hope to visit this beautiful beach someday.

• AliasGirl's Profile Photo
    Sep 25, 2004 at 7:16 AM

I've always heard about Sanibel Island and now I see how amazing it is, definatley on my travel wish list...Thanks for sharing! Very impressive pages all around! Kudos

• ncfg's Profile Photo
    Jul 25, 2004 at 6:31 AM

Great tips here, i loved Sanibel Island, it sooooo beautiful, i wish be there right now. Thanks for your comments on my Tenerife Island, i love Islands :-))) Nat

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Jul 11, 2004 at 5:33 PM

Lovely job on these pages. We have talked about going here for years and have never made it.

tpangelinan

“Dance with the Dolphins”

Badges & Stats in Sanibel Island

Have you been to Sanibel Island?