"Winterthur, An American Country Estate!" Winterthur by tpangelinan
Winterthur Travel Guide: 33 reviews and 113 photos
H. F. du Pont & his father created this estate in the early 20th century ( 1880-1969 ) Winterthur was designed like old European country style homes. This wonderful mansion is filled with antiques, beautiful gardens and landscape. It also has a nationally renowned research library.
Many events to enjoy, A wonderful Craft Festival & symphony Concert on Labor Day each year, There are beautiful galleries, Museum store, garden Cafeteria, a touch it room and The Enchanted Woods for children, and the garden tram tour.
Henry Francis du Pont expanded the home in the late 1920's, he want to preserve many of the fine old tulip-poplar & American Beech tree as he could. Along with the Landscaper Marian Coffin they created the East Terrace, complete with formal garden, stone balustrades and summerhouse.
- Pros:Beautiful old American Country Estate, wonderful gardens
- In a nutshell:A wonderful place to visit!
This tureen Was made in France or Italy between 1720 & 1750, said to have been made for Prince Marc de... more travel advice
Getting a map at the visitor center or the main entrance to the museum is a handy thing to have, there is a lot of... more travel advice
tpangelinan's Related Pages
Winterthur Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Winterthur, An American Country Estate!"
- "Winterthur ~ Brandywine Valley Historical Treasure"
- "Swiss Name - American Antiques"
- "Winterthur, DE"
- "ginevra33's new Winterthur page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Winterthur
- Transportation in Winterthur
- Restaurants in Winterthur
- Shopping in Winterthur
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Winterthur
- 17 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (69)
Have you been to Winterthur?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Winterthur
Photos in WinterthurSee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 65 reviews, 69 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 55 reviews, 59 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Charleston Intro, 32 reviews, 74 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Delaware Intro, 40 reviews, 52 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Myers Beach Intro, 38 reviews, 52 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rehoboth Beach Intro, 45 reviews, 44 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lucaya Intro, 17 reviews, 66 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Virginia Beach Intro, 40 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Florida Intro, 34 reviews, 35 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wilmington Intro, 29 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue