"Snowdonia National Park" Top 5 Page for this destination Snowdonia by eddilowe
Snowdonia Travel Guide: 162 reviews and 542 photos
On my last two trips to the area I stayed at the Greenacres caravan park in Morfa Bychan, Porthmadog. It's a stones throw from Portmeirion, right by Black Rock Sands and an ideal location for exploring Snowdonia National Park.
Snowdonia National Park
The name of the park comes from Snowdon, the highest mountain in England and Wales. The Welsh name of the park is Eryri National Park. Eryri means place of the eagles.
The National Park covers 823 square miles of the most beautiful and unspoilt countryside in NW Wales. Snowdonia is home to just over 26,000 people, who live and work in its towns and villages, and on its hill farms.
An estimated 6-10 million visitor days are spent here every year! If you imagine that spread evenly over every day of the year that's an average of nearly 22,000 people per day - 26 people per sq. mile... if I've done the math correctly :o)
Even some of the youngest rocks in Snowdonia are more than 400million years old. The Ice Age changed the landscape (the last of the glaciers did not disappear until fairly recently in geological terms, about 10,000 years ago) leaving behind the valleys, rocks, boulders and glacial lakes that we see today..
The following websites will give you more information on the National Park and it's attractions and history:
Snowdonia National Park Authority website
Click on USEFUL INFORMATION on the right hand side and you will get exactly that, from tourist information to doctors surgeries and so on.
Snowdonia Wales Net
National Parks in England Wales and Scotland website
The Welsh Language
You will find that the Welsh language is used widely. It is also useful to know the meanings of a few words of Welsh so you can discover the meaning of a lot of place names. For example, the word Betws means house of prayer and Coed means a wood so the place name Betws-y-Coed means prayer house in the wood.
This website is very good and gives common prefixes to place names and examples.
Just a word to begin with..... there are two very similar sounding railways operating in the area.... this one is not to... more travel advice
Built between 1283 and 1330 Caernarfon Castle was designed to look like the walls of Constantinople. It is considered... more travel advice
eddilowe's Related Pages
Snowdonia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Snowdonia National Park"
- "Snowdonia's Splendid Scenery"
- "Snowdonia Splendour"
- "Buzzards shriek............."
- "Mount Snowdon: the hard way.."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Snowdonia
- Hotels in Snowdonia
- Transportation in Snowdonia
- Nightlife in Snowdonia
- Restaurants in Snowdonia
- Shopping in Snowdonia
- Warnings and Dangers in Snowdonia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Snowdonia
- 28 Reviews
- 36 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Snowdonia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Snowdonia
Photos in SnowdoniaSee All Photos (36)
Top 10 Pages
- Venice Intro, 33 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Snowdonia Intro, 28 reviews, 36 photos
- Lake District National Park Intro, 24 reviews, 32 photos
- Cornwall Intro, 10 reviews, 12 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wolfsburg Intro, 4 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Loiré Intro, 6 reviews, 16 photos
- Birmingham Intro, 9 reviews, 11 photos
- Dingle Intro, 7 reviews, 8 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nottinghamshire Intro, 5 reviews, 7 photos
- Germany Intro, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
No friends yet.