"Leticia Information" Leticia by oceania26

Leticia Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 73 photos

Leticia vs. other places in the Amazon

This question is often asked - where in the Amazon to go. For this, I say the jungle is the jungle no matter where you in the Amazon. What matter is the the name of year

In Letecia I went to Amazon with Palmari and the owner is Axel. I don't have anycomplaints but didn't care for Axel as a person...and it's not that ecologically friendly as it claims to be but other than that I had good experiences.

However, I didn't see or experience much that was that great. It really depends on the time of of year you go. I went in Dec which isn't that great but previous to that I wen to Puerto Malnado in Peru in April I had a way better opportunities - saw my animals and wildlife without even trying. It was also less touristy. So basically what I'm saying is that the jungle is the jungle regardless if you're in the Amazon. They had the same activities, same animals, same level of service and quality.

Palmari

For Leticia I would recommend Palmari because it is organized and the price
includes everything except canopying including all meals and drink (alcoholic
and filtered included). The canopying/zip lining only lasts 5seconds (no
exaggeration but it is quite expensive...60,000COP and you have to hike up a 40m tree which is hard but part of the fun.

Food is good and the place is kept very clean by the ladies. The guides are also very nice and friendly. The lodge has taken careful consideration into making guests stay enjoyable.

Price varies on what Axel sees as your status a tourist. Cheapest is $50/night
(he first quoted me saying 50 euros but I guess forgot and said $50), almost
everyone else at that was there at the same time as me paid way more. He also didn't tell me the price of transportation wasn't included and that's where he totally ripped me off but I still paid way less than others so make sure you clarify first so you won't be confused like me when they ask you for more money.

Border Formalities & Getting to Palmari

When you get out of the airport get your passport stamped by
DAS which is right beside the airport. Next if you have a visa go to the
Brazilian consulate to get your passport stamped. Next take a taxi to the dock at Tabatinga. If you have the Palmari guy do this for you, he will charge you 20-30000 pesos, you can do this on your own especially if you are spending the day or night in Leticia. You have to do this when you return as well! If you don´t have a Brazilian visa and don't want to pay for one, you could follow the instruction Palmari gives you.

*If the price doesn´t include transportation you still need to arrange with
Palmari to get to the lodge but you can get to the dock by yourself.
* From Tabitinga you have to take a water taxi to Benjamin Constant which cost 15,000 and only leaves once filled up. Takes about 30mins
* From Benajamin Constant you can take a moto taxi (motorcycle) for 10,000 which takes 35-40mins. Car costs more
* He will take you to Atalaya from there you have to get a boat from Palmari so you have to make prior arrangments with them. It only takes 25mins but they will charge you 45000 or whatever Axel feels like charging.
* If you can the Palmari boat from Tabtinga to Palmari, it costs 60000 and takes less than 4 hours from there either they will arrange for to get to the airport or you make your way -- his contact (Polo) in Leticia will assist you.

• Intro Written Nov 15, 2010

Comments

oceania26

“Be the change you want to see in the world ~ Gandhi”

Badges & Stats in Leticia

Have you been to Leticia?

Latest Activity in Leticia