" Salsa Music" Bogotá by IrishFem
Bogotá Travel Guide: 663 reviews and 1,551 photos
I lived in Bogota for 4 years during the 80's. It was a very dangerous place at that time. However l do have fond memories of the many places l visited, the wonderful people l met, and apart from a few nasty incidents, l enjoyed my stay. Bogota is the Capital of Colombia located on top of a mountain 2,650 m above sea level. The city was founded around 1500 by Spanish Conquistador Gonzalo Jimenez de Quesada who fought the Indian tribe the Chibcha. The city was then capatured by Simon Bolivar in 1819. Bogota is full of Churches, convents and beautiful old colonial styles houses. 6 million people live in Bogota including immigrants from all over the world. The food is delicious and Bogota offers a wide variety of the best with plenty of restaurants and night life especailly if you like Salsa Music. Bogota is divided by culture those who have money and those who have nothing. Its not unusual to see children beg in the streets or old women begging outside cinemas. Driving can be a nightmare with lots of traffic jams and if your not use to people blowing the horn at you l would advise you to hire a car and driver.You need time to discover this delighful city with its wonderful people.
Coming back into Colombia from Equador. I was totally exhausted having travelled from Bogota to Equador and back again. I thought it would have been a great way to see the country and it was but stuck on a bus for most of the journey and it was not a great experience. Scary bus drivers who took turns around clifts with drops so far down it make my hair stand up. I was ever so happy to arrive back in Bogota in one piece.
A must visit when your in Bogota ! Thousands of peices of gold and artifacts in this wonderful museum.
- Pros:Very friendly people
- Cons:Lots of poverty
- In a nutshell:So many great things to experience
IrishFem's Related Pages
Bogotá Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bogota Revealed"
- "The Heart of Colombia"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bogotá
- Hotels in Bogotá
- Transportation in Bogotá
- Nightlife in Bogotá
- Restaurants in Bogotá
- Shopping in Bogotá
- Warnings and Dangers in Bogotá
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bogotá
- 25 Reviews
- 69 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 46 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Bogotá?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bogotá
Photos in BogotáSee All Photos (69)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dublin Intro, 154 reviews, 208 photos, 10 travelogues
- Cartagena Intro, 32 reviews, 111 photos, 7 travelogues
- Medellín Intro, 8 reviews, 88 photos, 9 travelogues
- Bogotá Intro, 25 reviews, 69 photos, 6 travelogues
- Singapore 12 reviews, 67 photos, 7 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 24 reviews, 53 photos, 3 travelogues
- London Intro, 22 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prague Intro, 17 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sydney Intro, 5 reviews, 20 photos
- Melbourne Intro, 13 reviews, 11 photos