Cartagena Things to Do Tips by IrishFem
Cartagena Things to Do: 18 reviews and 43 photos
Inquisition Palace was built around 1770 for the Inquisition Tribunal. You can take a tour with a guide or you can walk around on your own. The tour guides wait inside and when you pay your entrance fee they will recommend that you take a guide. I walked around and was sorry afterwards that l did not hire a guide. Most of the information is in Spanish and some in English but my advise is to have one of the guides show you around, as l did not understand most of spanish.
The admission is free into this very small gold museum. Personally l could not get excited about it as l thought it rather boring. If you want to learn the history of Emeralds they do have lots of information on that. They sell replicas of jewellery from pre colombian times but the collection is not great.
Address: Plaza de Bolivar
Parque Simon Bolivar. This park is homage to Simon Bolivar who liberated Cartagena. During the day the park is full of people drinking coffee and watching the world go by. Plenty of people selling jewellery, coffee, lottery tickets, just about anything. It's nice to sit in the shade if the sun gets too hot for you. During the early evening and late into the night groups of local Cartaginians gather in the park to demonstrate the local folklore dances. There are young students (mostly poor) who come from all over Cartagena to earn a little extra money from tourists. Their dancing is amazing they give great entertainment for a few pesos from the tourists.
This building at one stage belonged to the Jesuits as it right beside San Pedro Claver church. It is now a naval museum. Inside and out you will find collections of maritime history of Cartagena.
Address: Calle San Jan de Dios
More Reviews (14)
IrishFem's Related Pages
Cartagena Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Cartagena: Departamento del Magdalena: Colombia"
- "Cartagena de Indias, Colombia"
- "Cartagena the Jewel Of Caribbean"
- "Our first visit to Cartagena"
- "CARTEGENA NORTH WESTERN COLOMBIA"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cartagena
- Hotels in Cartagena
- Transportation in Cartagena
- Nightlife in Cartagena
- Restaurants in Cartagena
- Shopping in Cartagena
- Warnings and Dangers in Cartagena
- See All...
Explore the World
- West Seattle
- Kolossi Hotels
- Valencia Hotels
- Al Marfa'
- Astana Hotels
- Los Banos Hotels
Badges & Stats in Cartagena
- 32 Reviews
- 111 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Cartagena?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cartagena
Photos in CartagenaSee All Photos (111)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dublin Intro, 154 reviews, 208 photos, 10 travelogues
- Cartagena Intro, 32 reviews, 111 photos, 7 travelogues
- Medellín Intro, 8 reviews, 88 photos, 9 travelogues
- Bogotá Intro, 25 reviews, 69 photos, 6 travelogues
- Singapore 12 reviews, 67 photos, 7 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 24 reviews, 53 photos, 3 travelogues
- London Intro, 22 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prague Intro, 17 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sydney Intro, 5 reviews, 20 photos
- Melbourne Intro, 13 reviews, 11 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (25)
- Old City- 1 Reviews, 5 Photos
- Convent of San Pedro Claver- 1 Reviews, 4 Photos
- Plaza de Bolivar- 1 Reviews, 5 Photos
- Monumento a las India Catalina.- 1 Reviews, 1 Photos
- Castillo de San Felipe de Barajas- 1 Reviews, 2 Photos
- Plaza de la Inquisicion- 1 Reviews, 3 Photos
- Gold Museum- 1 Reviews, 0 Photos
- Church of de Santo Toribio de Mangrovejo- 1 Reviews, 0 Photos