"Oatman AZ, An old Gold mining Town" Top 5 Page for this destination Oatman by akkipaa
Oatman Travel Guide: 24 reviews and 109 photos
Gold is powerful driver of man! Unfortunately I have born on different age (and place), but IF I had born close to here some hundred years ago, I would have liked to be a gold digger or saloon piano player. Who knows, there is still a lot of not found gold, hopefully this time below my feet or at least in my area.
Oatman was founded about 1906 and gold was digged about 35 years. Today, because of increasing interest to Route 66, the old town is again waking up from long time sleep.
Oatman has been featured in some Hollywood westerns, like "Foxfire" (1955), "Edge of Eternity" (1959) and "How the West Was Won" (1962).
Burros first came to Oatman as early day prospectors. The animals were used inside the mines hauling rock and ore and outside for hauling water and supplies. Nowadays burros are release into surrounding hills, if you trust picture above. And why not, they came alone to streets to have own performances to tourists. Best time to hunt (not really) is from morning, we saw first about 9:00 am (May).
Burros are real and so is this beauty, a man caught this Rattle Snake (from desert I hope) and didn't tell the hunting place. It was dead, but still warm (I am just kidding, isn't it so that snakes are exothermic). Anyway it was scary, even in dead form.
This is not (I hope) Mojave Rattle snake, but I really don't want to meet him (or her) in the desert. Be careful out there, when you stop the car!
- Pros:Small, everything in hands, exotic
- Cons:You miss this town if you don't know it in advance
- In a nutshell:Almost real feeling of old western golden times
The living sign of Oatman are burros. Burros came with first prospectors and they were used inside mines also, hailing... more travel advice
The text is self explanatory, the sign was found near Oatman (less than 10 minutes). more travel advice
akkipaa's Related Pages
Oatman Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Jumping Around Oatman, Arizona!"
- "Oatman AZ, An old Gold mining Town"
- "Oatman ,Arizona"
- "Oatman, Arizona - A Big Bang for No Buck"
- "KikBkK8's Oatman page"
- "Oatman, Arizona"
- "Oatman November 1999"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Oatman
- Hotels in Oatman
- Transportation in Oatman
- Restaurants in Oatman
- Shopping in Oatman
- Warnings and Dangers in Oatman
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Oatman
- 11 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (46)
Have you been to Oatman?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Oatman
- Posted in Travel Sweden Forum "Re: Osby / Ekbackeskolan"
- updated a Oatman Travel Page "Oatman AZ, An old Gold mining Town"
- Wrote a Review Follow the Burros (donkeys) in Oatman Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Follow the Burros (donkeys)"
- Commented on one of BobandBon's Oatman travel pages
- Uploaded a Video to Oatman
Photos in OatmanSee All Photos (21)
Top 10 Pages
- United States of America Intro, 36 reviews, 197 photos, 15 travelogues
- Tampere Intro, 39 reviews, 99 photos, 5 travelogues
- Hanoi Intro, 20 reviews, 56 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lappeenranta Intro, 29 reviews, 47 photos
- Hua Hin Intro, 17 reviews, 57 photos
- Finland Intro, 24 reviews, 45 photos, 1 travelogue
- Siem Reap Intro, 18 reviews, 51 photos
- Stockholm Intro, 13 reviews, 51 photos
- Phnom Penh Intro, 14 reviews, 49 photos
- Natal Intro, 29 reviews, 32 photos