"Route 66 - 5000 kilometers on the road" United States of America by akkipaa
United States of America Travel Guide: 282,301 reviews and 646,087 photos
"If you ever plan to motor west
Travel my way, the highway that's the best.
Get your kicks on Route 66!"
Ok, that was from Bobby Troup, and that's the way it goes. If you like travel, you have to like (and experience) R66.
I promise to tell to you the story as "daily basis". My friend and I spend 14 days on the road. I make a chapter from each of them and add some interesting photo galleries.
It used to be the road from Chicago to Los Angeles. Crossing through towns in Illinois, Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and California. A fantastic cross section of states in America. Chicago, Springfield, St. Louis, Joplin, Oklahoma City, Amarillo, Santa Fe (not exactly on Route 66), Gallup, Cameron (Grand Canyon loop), Bullhead City (had to see Nevada), Barstow, San Bernardino and Los Angeles were the places we accommodated, but there were a lot of others, more interesting you might think, but our strategy was to drive on the most original roads and stay for a night when we got tired or the light went off.
You might consider Bloomington, Lebanon, Tulsa, Albuquerque, Winslow, Flagstaff, Pasadena or take a loop to "lake side" like Lake Havasu City or Lake Arrowhead.
The highlight was, not a surprise, the Grand Canyon, but you might find some interest, as I did, from Oatman, AZ, also.
But the most "High" is the road. It varies state by state, being fieldy in Illinois, green hilly and curvy in Missouri, short in Kansas, feeling familiar in Oklahoma, all large in Texas, open in New Mexico, hot and dry in Arizona, crowded and rush in California. Out of scope, but have to mention, arrival to Bullhead City was something, 14 miles downhill ride with speed of 80 mph (we did it twice, from two different directions).
Motorcycle: Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic. 96 cubic inch twin cam, 35-54 miles per gallon, side bags, windshield, crash bars.
Communication: mobile phones, intercom with head sets and pmr phones.
Navigation: paper maps for planning and follow up, motorcycle navigator and phone navigator for emergency routing or escape from those dead ends we every now and the got.
Travel guide: Ez66 guide (2nd edition - 3rd published 2013). Some other books to cross check the roads (the road information in different sources was a little mesh).
Key apparel: rainwear (for days two and three), leather chaps, helmet and boots.
Top in Playing list: Route 66, Highway Star, Amarillo, San Bernadino, Highway to Hell and similar. A little bit old stuff, but those have been among the things arose the idea of driving the route.
Luggage: 50 liters watertight bag on luggage rag, rain ware and spare boots in side bags.
Why: English translation of my nick name is quickbeam. It took about three seconds to answer my friends open question: "If I don't find a mate to drive Route 66 with me, I'll do it alone".
Hidden in somewhere in desert, nothing around, only tens of miles of desert, four gasoline pumps, two of them working and when driving there, middle of nowhere, you think all the time what happens, if you get flat tyre or some other breakdown.
Then you get refreshments in heatness of noon, full tank of gas, rest for a while and you suddenly understand, this is the case, this is the Route 66.
- Pros:Road of dreams and memories, every mile is special
- Cons:I live 25 miles from beginning of Route 66, Finnish version
- In a nutshell:Wiser than me has already said: "Get you kicks on Route 66"
I started to make my U.S pages because I drove the Route 66, passed eight states and I have been in some more, so I... more travel advice
Billy Connolly's Route 66 was a British documentary television series and it was shot between April and June 2011, at... more travel advice
akkipaa's Related Pages
United States of America Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "BASAIC's USA Page"
- "A constant work in progress"
- "United States: A Melting Pot"
- "America the Beautiful"
- "Saying Goodbye to the United States of America"
- "THE UNITED STATES"
- "USA - several trips"
- See All...
- Things to Do in United States of America
- Hotels in United States of America
- Transportation in United States of America
- Nightlife in United States of America
- Restaurants in United States of America
- Shopping in United States of America
- Warnings and Dangers in United States of America
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in United States of America
- 59 Reviews
- 246 Photos
- 76 Forum posts
- 4 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (27)
Have you been to United States of America?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in United States of America
- Posted in Travel Helsinki Forum "Re: Short transit time "
- Commented on one of maiki's United States of America travel pages
- updated a United States of America Travel Page "Route 66 - 5000 kilometers on the road"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Used to be Route 66 stuff"
- Wrote a Review The Grand Canyon in United States of America Things to Do
Photos in United States of AmericaSee All Photos (246)
Top 10 Pages
- United States of America Intro, 36 reviews, 197 photos, 15 travelogues
- Tampere Intro, 37 reviews, 89 photos, 5 travelogues
- Hua Hin Intro, 17 reviews, 57 photos
- Finland Intro, 24 reviews, 45 photos, 1 travelogue
- Siem Reap Intro, 18 reviews, 51 photos
- Stockholm Intro, 13 reviews, 51 photos
- Phnom Penh Intro, 14 reviews, 49 photos
- Natal Intro, 29 reviews, 32 photos
- Da Lat Intro, 13 reviews, 33 photos
- Ban Ao Nang Intro, 21 reviews, 25 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (88)
Top United States of America hotels
- Orlando Hotels
- 3079 Reviews - 5774 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15524 Reviews - 30894 Photos
- Myrtle Beach Hotels
- 319 Reviews - 425 Photos
- Las Vegas Hotels
- 8349 Reviews - 17018 Photos
- Panama City Beach Hotels
- 193 Reviews - 288 Photos
- Key West Hotels
- 2024 Reviews - 3979 Photos
- San Francisco Hotels
- 9082 Reviews - 19107 Photos
- Honolulu Hotels
- 1987 Reviews - 4711 Photos
- Miami Beach Hotels
- 1031 Reviews - 2075 Photos
- Los Angeles Hotels
- 4341 Reviews - 8591 Photos
- Chicago Hotels
- 5834 Reviews - 11868 Photos
- New Orleans Hotels
- 4162 Reviews - 7182 Photos
- Atlanta Hotels
- 1477 Reviews - 2638 Photos
- Fort Lauderdale Hotels
- 655 Reviews - 1372 Photos
- Kissimmee Hotels
- 181 Reviews - 351 Photos