"Nokia - Hearth of Finnish electronics" Top 5 Page for this destination Nokia by akkipaa
Nokia Travel Guide: 45 reviews and 128 photos
Nokia is one of the Tampere's neighbor towns, others are Ylöjärvi, Pirkkala, Lempäälä, Kangasala and Orivesi. It's a home of more than 30 000 inhabitants and one of the most important industrial towns in Finland. Many Finnish brands have origin in Nokia, soft paper, car tires and electronics.
As usual, there is a river floating through the town and that is the source of the welfare, first industries were born to produce wooden products and electric like in Tampere rapids also. The etymology of the name is not surely known, it might have basis in beaver (majava) or sable (soopeli). With small letters, nokia, is plural partitive of soot (or carbon black) which suit well because of the industrial pipes pushing smog.
The Nokia corporation was originally born 1868 as a wood grindery (Nokia Aktiebolaget). The company faced serious troubles and Suomen Gummitehdas (Gum factory of Finland) bought it in 1920's. Finally the corporation bought Suomen Kaapelitehdas (Cable factory of Finland) and they all merged to Nokia Corporation in the beginning of 1967. Soft paper, cables, gum boots and tires were the basis of electronic blow up and finally cell phones and network equipment they still are producing all over the world.
- Pros:Nature, forest and industrial soul
- Cons:The town is quite ugly and cold
- In a nutshell:Tho town has an industrial hearth
I have to explain, it's a little bit confusing. We eat here hot dogs which is different product than Kuumakoira (and the... more travel advice
As in many Finnish grave yards, Nokia Church has a war hero memorial area. It's most often in the best place of the... more travel advice
akkipaa's Related Pages
Nokia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "NOT ONLY MOBILE PHONES"
- "City of Nokia- town of rubber, not visual hitech"
- "Nokia - the town, not that Telecomm. Company"
- "NOKIA - a name known worldwide"
- "Nokia - Hearth of Finnish electronics"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nokia
- Hotels in Nokia
- Transportation in Nokia
- Nightlife in Nokia
- Restaurants in Nokia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Nokia
- 12 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (25)
Have you been to Nokia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nokia
- Posted in Travel Varkaus Forum "Re: Travel from turku"
- Commented on one of akkipaa's Nokia tips
- Wrote a Review International Kuumakoira day (Hotdog day 30 March) in Nokia Local Customs
- Uploaded a Photo to "International Kuumakoira day (Hotdog day 30 March)"
- created a Nokia Travel Page "Nokia - Hearth of Finnish electronics"
Top 10 Pages
- United States of America Intro, 36 reviews, 197 photos, 15 travelogues
- Tampere Intro, 38 reviews, 94 photos, 5 travelogues
- Hua Hin Intro, 17 reviews, 57 photos
- Finland Intro, 24 reviews, 45 photos, 1 travelogue
- Siem Reap Intro, 18 reviews, 51 photos
- Stockholm Intro, 13 reviews, 51 photos
- Phnom Penh Intro, 14 reviews, 49 photos
- Natal Intro, 29 reviews, 32 photos
- Da Lat Intro, 13 reviews, 33 photos
- Ban Ao Nang Intro, 21 reviews, 25 photos