"Akkipaa's Mindsettings" akkipaa's Profile

Get you kicks in Route 66 - Anywhere and whatever

Welcome to my travel pages. I would like to recommend to you some of my most interesting, at least to me, pages I have prepared here.

During spring 2011 I drove through U.S Route 66. It's obvious to you, difficult to make tips or recommendations, you drive 3000 miles, spend only some hours in different towns, see only one of each item and get only a clue what's around. Thus I combined the story to one travel page, added all reviews under and made a travelogue of each driving day. Be welcome to read then story and I encourage you to feedback me, if I have understood something wrong, if you like to propose improvements or any kind of ideas you might think would help me with this and other pages.

U.S. Route 66

We met tens of towns worth visiting and own pages, I took only two of them to prepare my own. The first one was almost like a hidden pearl on the Route and the other, a little bit side track to R66, small Indian Village besides Grand Canyon.

Oatman, Arizona

Cameron, Arizona

Monastery Trip - Summer 2012

I spend a nice vacation in Valamo Monastery (Lake Ladoga - Russia). Take a look to my pages, I still work with them, but the main part is done.

Valaam, Lake Ladoga

Valaam is an archipelago in the biggest European lake Ladoga nowadays in the Republic of Karelia and Russian Federation. The total area is about 36 square kilometer and there are more than 50 islands. The biggest of them is called Valaam and the main buildings of the monastery are there. The roots of the monastery are going to 992, 1200 or 1400 depending of from whom you are asking, one of the sources is Orthodox legends and according to legend the story starts from 992.

Lighthouses

Lighthouses have been fascinated man since the dawn of civilisation. Spirit of freedom, guidance and feeling of homecoming raise one's mind to stars and heavens.

This lighthouse is Grays Harbor and it's located in West Port, U.S.

The Bridge

Bridges are probably the most stimulating things man has ever built. The Number One among all world's bridges (of the big ones) is Golden Gate in San Francisco. If you check my Tampere pages, you can find more (smaller :) bridges and the One for me.

One day I was close but I missed it. I was about 20 miles from The Bridge and I had no time. No time for The Bridge! I must be mad.

The length of the Golden Gate is overall 2735 meters and span lenght is about 1280 m. Technically it's single-span suspension bridge and was the longest when build. Wow, it's not the longest but it's the most beautiful.

You can find GG, Devil's Elbow, Old Chain, Brooklyn, Satakunnansilta, Jätkänkynttilä, Aunessilta and a couple of others from U.S and Finland.

Pinnawala Natural Park

Children are the same everywhere. This elephant park is located some tens of miles North-East from Colombo.

Teeth and the Tooth

It's not a fake, if I say: you can see five teeth in this picture. The visible are from sacred elephants and the non-visible is behind the curtains.

It's a tooth of Buddha. Buddha's tooth came from India sixteen centuries ago (371 A.D.), and was moved from capital to capital always with the king. It is rarely shown and never leaves the temple.

The relic was brought by Princess Hemamali disguised as a brahamin lady and the tooth was hidden in her knot of hair for safety. The sacred tooth relic was given to King Megavan who was ruling in the town of Anuradhapura.

Nowadays the tooth is located in the Temple of the Tooth (Dalada Maligawa) in Kandy.

Architectural Mistake?

And the next one is the Tower. Once I was in Florence and now 100 km was not too far. I went to Pisa, but those carabineers (polices) didn't let me go in. There were too many people already! So again I missed something on my journeys.

Why it's so famous? I know this brand. Let's make something like bugs! I make a lot of bugs, but I don't build towers.

I might build a bridge from nowhere to nowhere (to Teisko of course), so that's my hot tip for tourism planners. Let's fly Teisko to world map.

The Eye of God - Helix Nebula - NGC 7293

Will our Sun look like this one day? The Helix Nebula is the closest example of a planetary nebula created at the end of the life of a Sun-like star. The outer gasses of the star expelled into space appear from our vantage point as if we are looking down a helix.

The Helix Nebula, given a technical designation of NGC 7293, lies about 650 light-years away towards the constellation of Aquarius and spans about 2.5 light-years. The above picture is a composite of newly released images from the ACS instrument on the Hubble Space Telescope and wide-angle images from the Mosaic Camera on the 0.9-m Telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory.

Will it be possible to roam to the stars in the future? Possibly, after some invention of faster travelling and applications of the theory of relativity.

Be aware, change you maps to planisphere!

• Intro Updated Sep 25, 2012

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
akkipaa's Profile Photo

akkipaa

“World is beautiful and lifetime is so short”

Real Name