"Maskara Festival" Bacolod City by attoio
Bacolod City Travel Guide: 457 reviews and 1,154 photos
The annual MassKara Festival held in Bacolod City every October is a celebration which has earned for Bacolod the title "City of Smiles". The Festival was conceived in 1980 by a group of City Officials, Art Association of Bacolod members and some concerned citizens with full support from the city government and the Department of Tourism Field Office to enliven the usual City Charter Anniversary celebration which, at the same time consisted of the routine flag ceremony, employees program and the afternoon civic military parade.
The word "MassKara" was coined by the late AAB president Ely Santiago from the two words "mass" which means "many or a multitude of the people" and the Spanish "kara" meaning "face". The mask worned by the participants during the parade are always smiling. MassKara thus means a multitude of smiling faces.
Since its inception, the MassKara Festival is held every third weekend of October nearest the Charter Anniversary. It features a MassKara Street Dance competition where people from all walks of life troops to the streets to see colorful masked dancers gyrate to the infectious rhythm to the Latin musical beat in a stunning display of mastery, gaiety, coordination and stamina. Major activities are the beauty pageant, carnivals, drum and bugle corps competitions, food festivals, sports events, musical concert, agri-trade fair, garden show, to name few.
attoio's Related Pages
Bacolod City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The City of Smiles"
- "Welcome to the City of Smiles - Bacolod!"
- "Where the Grass is Green and the Girls are Pretty"
- "Where the air is sweet"
- "At home in Bacolod"
- "Bacolod, is it really a dullsville?"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bacolod City
- Hotels in Bacolod City
- Transportation in Bacolod City
- Nightlife in Bacolod City
- Restaurants in Bacolod City
- Shopping in Bacolod City
- Warnings and Dangers in Bacolod City
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bacolod City
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Bacolod City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bacolod City
Top 10 Pages
- Singapore Intro, 5 reviews, 28 photos
- Iloilo City Intro, 10 reviews, 10 photos
- Manila Intro, 1 review, 8 photos
- Anaheim Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos
- Valencia Intro, 1 review, 8 photos
- Siaton 2 reviews, 6 photos
- Province of Bohol Intro, 2 reviews, 5 photos
- Honolulu Intro, 2 reviews, 5 photos
- Bohol Intro, 2 reviews, 5 photos
- Malay Intro, 3 reviews, 3 photos