"Pearl of the Orient" attoio's Profile
Iloilo has been a commercial center in the Visayas since the Spanish era. It's home to stately mansions, centuries-old churches, handicrafts, and antique collections. Tee off at the oldest golf course in the country, built in Santa Barbara during the turn of the century.
Food lovers are in for a sumptuous feast. Many local specialties are now famous throughout the Philippines. There's Lapaz batchoy, a hearty meat and noodle soup; pancit molo, spiced dumplings in chicken broth; delicate pastries and biscuits; and pinasugbo, or caramelized banana chips. And of course, there's all the fresh seafood cooked in a mouthwatering variety of ways.
Its most popular event is the Dinagyang festival, celebrated every fourth weekend of January. A noisy, colorful parade commemorates the Christianization of the natives and honors the Holy Child Jesus while mixing in tribal rites of pre-colonial days. Participants lift up prayers and spiritual offerings while dancing to the beat of tribal drums and the shouting of "Hala Bira!" (Cebu Pacific)
The Queen City of the South
The Paraw Regatta is one of the a summer activity of the Iloilo people. This is usually held during the month of February, 3rd Sunday. Sails are hand painted from an array of themes - Iloilo history to what the painter thinks will win him/her an award/prize.
Iloilo, the second oldest city in the Philippines, is also known as the "Queen City of the South." Iloilo was and still a bustling port city, at the center of the Philippine archipelago, with total land area of 532,397 ha.
Since it is an island, there are a lot of beaches, with beautiful sunset or sunrise views. Mountains are also abundant, so there are a lot of caves to explore, and water falls to see.
Ilongos are very gentle people, from the way the speaks to the way the walk.
Ilonggo is the primary dialect, but English is widely spoken.
You can reach Iloilo by plane or by ship, coming from Cebu City or from Manila.You have Air Philippines, Philippine Airlines and Cebu Pacific; Negros Navigation for the sea.
Simple, a guy with the parrots will put the birds on your shoulder and take your pics with a fee. Didn't ask coz i'm not interested.
One of the activities here in Waikiki aside from swimming is surfing. These ladies are on their way to the Waikiki waves.
Lemurs are one of the boarders in the zoo. Just so happen that when we passed by, this lemur is on top of one of the rock formations.
Boys on top of their nipa hut.
Top Travel Pages
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 48 Reviews
- 159 Photos
- 4 Countries
- 18 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
- attoio and yen_2 are now friends.
- Wrote a Review Ging-ging's restaurant in Malapascua Island Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Ging-ging's restaurant"
- Commented on mytcz's profile page
- updated a Province of Pangasinan Travel Page "Home Province"
updated their Profile Page "Pearl of the Orient"
- Posted in Travel Boracay Island Forum "Re: BEST PLACE TO VISIT: BEST..."
Top 10 Pages
- Singapore Intro, 5 reviews, 28 photos
- Iloilo City Intro, 10 reviews, 10 photos
- Manila Intro, 1 review, 8 photos
- Anaheim Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos
- Valencia Intro, 1 review, 8 photos
- Siaton 2 reviews, 6 photos
- Province of Bohol Intro, 2 reviews, 5 photos
- Honolulu Intro, 2 reviews, 5 photos
- Bohol Intro, 2 reviews, 5 photos
- Malay Intro, 3 reviews, 3 photos
- Paris Hotels
- 22172 Reviews - 53908 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3079 Reviews - 5774 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15524 Reviews - 30894 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23065 Reviews - 47272 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 11941 Reviews - 26475 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1928 Reviews - 3713 Photos
- Myrtle Beach Hotels
- 319 Reviews - 425 Photos
- Las Vegas Hotels
- 8349 Reviews - 17018 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 1909 Reviews - 4475 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 325 Reviews - 885 Photos
- Toronto Hotels
- 4278 Reviews - 8803 Photos
- Melbourne Hotels
- 3341 Reviews - 7500 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2036 Reviews - 3787 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7646 Reviews - 19527 Photos
- Panama City Beach Hotels
- 193 Reviews - 288 Photos