"We're here....now what?" Top 5 Page for this destination Loreto by jjkent
Loreto Travel Guide: 165 reviews and 380 photos
48 hours before we arrived, we didn't even know we would be there - Hurricane Wilma did a real job on our Yucatan/SE Mexico vacation plans. We decided to go to a sunny place in Mexico or Central America and, after consulting with Weather.com, we were standing on the tarmac outside of a village in the only sunny place in Mexico - the town of Loreto in the state of Baja California Sur.
Our lack of preparation did not keep us from having a good time! In less than 24 hours our plans were solidified, including a 4-day visit in this lovely little village where the citizens are friendly and accommodating, the beauty of the Sea of Cortez burns an imprint in your brain, and the outdoor activities are plentiful.
Tourism in Loreto has increased over the years, with Alaska Airlines beginning twice-a-week service in April 2004 and cruise ship service (I believe Holland America) on Mondays. However, the increase in visitors has not spoiled this small village. It appears to keep it's uniquely Mexican and seaside nature.
After our 4 wonderful, relaxing days in Loreto, we bid farewell and took a 3 1/2 hour bus ride south to the state capital, La Paz.
I highly recommend renting a car (or better yet a convertible Jeep!) and driving north to Bahia de Conception... more travel advice
A nice hotel, not centrally located but only a short (~10 min) walk to downtown. Beautiful, tropical grounds with a... more travel advice
jjkent's Related Pages
Loreto Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hidden Paradise"
- "California's historycal capital"
- "Loreto, Baja California Sur"
- "We're here....now what?"
- "The emergence of Loreto, Baja Mexico"
- "Possibly the most beautiful town in Baja Sur"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Loreto
- Hotels in Loreto
- Transportation in Loreto
- Nightlife in Loreto
- Restaurants in Loreto
- Shopping in Loreto
- Warnings and Dangers in Loreto
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Loreto
- 9 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Loreto?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Loreto
Photos in LoretoSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Coldfoot Intro, 17 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Loreto Intro, 9 reviews, 10 photos
- Cabo San Lucas Intro, 7 reviews, 3 photos
- Denali National Park and Preserve Intro, 5 reviews, 3 photos
- Matanuska Intro, 3 reviews, 4 photos
- Rome Intro, 4 reviews, 2 photos
- La Paz Intro, 3 reviews, 3 photos
- Anchorage Intro, 3 reviews, 2 photos
- Vernazza Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos
- Brugge 1 review, 2 photos