"Drive the Dalton Highway!" Coldfoot by jjkent

Coldfoot Travel Guide: 17 reviews and 29 photos

My interest in seeing the Arctic Circle brought me on a long weekend trip from Anchorage to Fairbanks. I had always wanted to see what the countryside looked like that far north. And, selfishly, I always wanted to boast that I was one of the few to have been north of the Arctic Circle!

Luckily, the Dalton Highway was built in the 1970's as a support highway for the oil operations on the North Slope of Alaska and the Alyeska Pipeline, which runs from Prudhoe Bay to Valdez. The highway was closed to non-Alyeska vehicles (read: tourists) until the 1980's. Since then, the Dalton Highway still supports the North Slope oil operations as a primary objective, but is also a direct route for the curious, me included, to see the "top of the world!"

I rented a truck in Fairbanks and drove up to the beginning of the Dalton Highway near Livengood. This was the start of an awe-inspiring adventure to the top of the world! And luckily, I did it with no flat tires!

The Dalton Highway is a learning experience as well as a breathtaking exercise in the beauty of Alaska and the many geographical provinces you can see in a (relatively) short drive. If you have the opportunity, do the drive! Prepare, bring spare tires and bug nets, lunches and drinks, and don't forget your camera!

• Pros:Drive to the top of the world!
  • Cons:Bring a spare tire or two!
  • Last visit to Coldfoot: Aug 2003
  • Intro Updated Jan 25, 2004

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Aug 29, 2009 at 2:49 PM

I saw some on this area on TV and thought well what would Vt people have to say. You have done a good job of presenting and the lush greenery looks appealing. Thank you

• Jun 22, 2006 at 5:22 PM

I cannot tell you how much I have enjoyed your posts on your trip. My husband and I will be heading up to Prudhoe Bay and Coldfoot via the Dalton Hwy.

• chewy3326's Profile Photo
    Mar 3, 2006 at 1:29 PM

Great page! The Dalton Highway looks like a great trip, the scenery looks fantastic, too... I hope to see this area one day!

• MyHollyDay's Profile Photo
    Apr 25, 2005 at 3:47 AM

So happy to see a site mentioning the dalton hwy! Just the info I need since I will be heading up that way with an RV, a thing that is totally foreign to me. How many hours did it take you from fairbanks to "top of the world"?

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Jun 4, 2004 at 11:50 AM

Very helpful tips. I'm planning a trip up that way in August and would especially like to hike into the Gates of the Arctic NP. Stephen

• Sharrie's Profile Photo
    Jan 25, 2004 at 9:10 PM

U are the 1st one who built a page! Bravo! I was just checking 2 days ago & there was still nothing. Ok, I made it ... well to Antarctica, now I am on my way to Arctic. Guess I will be the 1st to make it here in the freezing winter!!!!!!!!!! Nuts, eh? ,-)

jjkent

“Don't sweat the petty things, and try not to pet the sweaty things!”

Badges & Stats in Coldfoot

Have you been to Coldfoot?

Friends