"Drive the Dalton Highway!" Coldfoot by jjkent
Coldfoot Travel Guide: 17 reviews and 29 photos
My interest in seeing the Arctic Circle brought me on a long weekend trip from Anchorage to Fairbanks. I had always wanted to see what the countryside looked like that far north. And, selfishly, I always wanted to boast that I was one of the few to have been north of the Arctic Circle!
Luckily, the Dalton Highway was built in the 1970's as a support highway for the oil operations on the North Slope of Alaska and the Alyeska Pipeline, which runs from Prudhoe Bay to Valdez. The highway was closed to non-Alyeska vehicles (read: tourists) until the 1980's. Since then, the Dalton Highway still supports the North Slope oil operations as a primary objective, but is also a direct route for the curious, me included, to see the "top of the world!"
I rented a truck in Fairbanks and drove up to the beginning of the Dalton Highway near Livengood. This was the start of an awe-inspiring adventure to the top of the world! And luckily, I did it with no flat tires!
The Dalton Highway is a learning experience as well as a breathtaking exercise in the beauty of Alaska and the many geographical provinces you can see in a (relatively) short drive. If you have the opportunity, do the drive! Prepare, bring spare tires and bug nets, lunches and drinks, and don't forget your camera!
- Pros:Drive to the top of the world!
- Cons:Bring a spare tire or two!
There are tour busses that do the driving for you. These leave out of Fairbanks - if bus touring is your cup of tea, by... more travel advice
I decided to turn around at mile 304 rather than press on to Deadhorse. My reasoning was I wanted a whole day to hike... more travel advice
jjkent's Related Pages
Coldfoot Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Drive the Dalton Highway!"
- "Get Gas in Coldfoot"
- "the last frontier"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Coldfoot
- Hotels in Coldfoot
- Transportation in Coldfoot
- Nightlife in Coldfoot
- Shopping in Coldfoot
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Coldfoot
- 17 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Coldfoot?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Coldfoot
Photos in ColdfootSee All Photos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- Coldfoot Intro, 17 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Loreto Intro, 9 reviews, 10 photos
- Cabo San Lucas Intro, 7 reviews, 3 photos
- Denali National Park and Preserve Intro, 5 reviews, 3 photos
- Matanuska Intro, 3 reviews, 4 photos
- Rome Intro, 4 reviews, 2 photos
- La Paz Intro, 3 reviews, 3 photos
- Anchorage Intro, 3 reviews, 2 photos
- Vernazza Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos
- Brugge 1 review, 2 photos